Chapter 25.2

[Hope]

"The colonies on Elysium struggle under the draconian trade regulations. The Trade Consortium has made claim to the planet for non-payment and threaten to take it by force." Chancellor Jayna Patel spoke over the long-range com, appearing as a holographic image. "Admiral Glynn and a small fleet of Confederacy ships will arrive soon to assist the colonists. The appearance of an Empress heir would be of great benefit."

Sitting with the others on the bridge, Hope asked, "How would my presence help?"

"The people despair. They feel powerless against the Consortium. Your mere presence would inspire them, and with our help, make a stand."

Celeste turned toward Hope. "It is as good a place as any to announce your existence."

Gabriel put on a sly grin. "And can you imagine how that would piss off the Consortium and Commonwealth leadership? That alone would be worth it."

Hope grinned in return, then turned her eyes up. "Sai, how long 'till we can get there?"

Sai replied, "Approximately ten days at maximum relative velocity, Empress. Oh, is it appropriate to address you as Empress?"

"I don't know if I will ever get used to the title. Among friends and family, I would prefer to just be called Hope. You included Sai."

"Very well, Hope."

Hope turned toward her father. He nodded, motioning her to continue. She said, "Sai, set course for Elysium, maximum relative velocity."

*****

The world appeared on the magnified display. Mostly tropical, contours of greens surrounded by deep blues appeared beneath fluffy swirls of white. Many had called Elysium a paradise worthy of its name, and from a distance it looked so.

Alone on the bridge, Hope gazed at the image, admiring its magnificence. A vague melancholy came over her. So easily, it becomes a paradise lost.

Despite the beauty, Elysium had few economically valuable resources. The colonies borrowed heavily from the Trade Consortium to cover development costs and paid most of it back, but now the rest was due. When the Consortium cut trade volume to the world, they ensured default. Now, under the unjust trade regulations, the Consortium came to claim the planet as theirs. Flickers of anger rose within Hope at the thought, and she clenched her fists. This was not the first time the Consortium stole a world, and always to the detriment of the native population.

Gab was right. I will enjoy sticking it to the Consortium.

Hope turned around as a hand touched her shoulder.

"It is a beautiful world." Celeste said, gazing at the image. "How are you feeling, Hope?"

Turning back to the image, Hope replied, "Right now? Angry! How does the Consortium get away with this?"

"Because too many good people do nothing." Celeste sat down and bid Hope to do the same. "I once met Gideon Diego, the Chairman of the Trade Consortium, although he wasn't Chairman at the time. If anyone deserves to be hated, it is him. When you were just a baby, he had taken us all captive. If not for some extraordinary actions, we would all have died, and the Line of the Empress would have ended. I have always wondered if some sort of divine intervention happened that day."

"Was that at Sanctuary? Dad said Diego's assistant, Claire, saved our lives."

"Yes, she did. And I will always be grateful for that." Celeste leaned forward. "Hope, your anger is understandable and I would say justified. But be careful, while anger is a powerful motivator for change, it may easily transform into rage. And rage--"