Chapter 38.2

[Hope]

The Firebird Rise landed with a gentle thump. As the whine of the thrusters faded into the evening quiet, Moon paced back and forth at the open docking hatch, grumbling impatiently until Sai deemed it safe to exit.

Gabriel nudged Hope and whispered, "Someone is anxious to get out."

Hope responded with a knowing smirk. The closer they had gotten to Vers Nederland, the more restless her father became, sometimes to the point of fluster, which was completely out of character for him. The source of his excitement stood across the landing pad wearing the white gown of a Sol Priestess with her hands tightly clasped. A cool sea breeze fluttered her dress and dark hair. Nearby stood the Empress Pro Tempore in a similar gown, beside several attendants.

Before the ground crew wheeled out the stairs, Moon jumped the two-meter gap to the tarmac and sprinted. Celeste met him half-way, jumping into his arms with a squeal. He spun her around, then pressed his lips against hers for a long deep kiss.

Hope dropped her jaw. "Is that our father?"

"And our mother," Gabriel replied, shaking his head. "Such behavior in front of us impressionable children..."

Celeste nuzzled her head against Moon's shoulder as he drew her in tight against himself. The Empress Pro Tempore narrowed her eyes in disapproval, then looked away from the public show of affection. But Hope could not tear her eyes away. A twinge of jealousy came over her. I wish I could have that.

With the stairs fixed in place and a Sol Guard in a crisp blue and red uniform standing at attention, Hope descended wearing her black tactical outfit with the red sun symbol of the Sol Way on the left shoulder, the closest thing she had to an official uniform. Eshe, Gabriel, and Claire followed her.

As Hope approached, her parents broke their embrace, but still held hands. She eyed the Empress Pro Tempore with suspicion, as this was the woman who enabled all the wrongs of the Trade Consortium. Hope looked at Celeste. But she has more reason to hate Ali.

Celeste broke with Moon and rushed over to hug her children, first Gabriel, then Hope. Ali dropped her mouth and gasped at the gesture. Apparently, hugging the Empress is frowned upon.

While in tight embrace, Hope whispered, "Can we trust her?"

Whispering back, Celeste responded, "I think so, but we should be careful. There are many agendas at work."

As Hope drew near, Ali and her attendants bowed with a hand over their hearts. Ali said, "Welcome, Empress Designate. I and all the resources of the Sol Priesthood are at your disposal."

Hope scanned Ali, looking for signs of deception in the older woman, but found none evident. "Empress Pro Tempore Ali Zahara, do you truly believe I am the genetic daughter of Empress Iona and heir apparent? Past actions suggest you did not."

"I do now, Empress." Ali raised her eyes, then dipped them again. "I... My ambition blinded me and I believed the lies. Please forgive me, Empress."

"Forgiveness may be given, but trust must be earned. There is much to discuss."

"Yes, of course, Empress. This way." With a gesture, Ali led Hope and the others toward a sprawling estate surrounded by lush gardens.

*****

The Empress' residence room astounded Hope, which was more like a luxurious mansion all for herself. An enormous poster bed, that might comfortably sleep ten, surrounded with sheer white drapes dominated one side of the bedroom. Her feet tapped across the glossy white stone floor while examining the works of art that adorned the walls. Frosted swinging doors led to a sitting room that overlooked a lush garden leading down to the sea.