Chapter 3.1

How much is it better to light a candle than to cower in the darkness?

- Writings of the Sol Empress, Words of Faith

[Celeste]

Dazed, Celeste's mind swirled. Random thoughts and emotions popped in and out of a vague consciousness, past or present she could not determine. She mentally snatched at them to ground herself to some kind of reality, anything. But they were too fleeting, like trying to grasp mist. Her eyes fluttered open but refused to focus.

Lightning. I remember lightning. Was that real?

Images came of dancing blue-white sparks. Twisting and slashing about, they clawed but left her unscathed. And then the violent shaking that yanked her back in the chair. A single clap of crashing thunder sounded, but not from the lightning. Then darkness.

And now, no sound other than her breath and pounding heart. Her eyes began to focus.

Where am I?

The display panels before her stood dark and silent. A single lighting strip above provided only dim illumination. She noticed the black bag cradled in her arms.

This is important somehow.

Although buckled into a tall back chair, she felt no weight. Small objects floated lazily in the air and her long hair billowed out in all directions. She watched a food tray rotate as it slowly passed before her, the one she had given to Moon...

Celeste's head snapped toward the empty captain's chair beside her. Recent memories crashed back into her mind. She shouted out, "Moon!"

Celeste flung back restraints and stood up, but her feet did not touch the floor. After securing the strap of the black duffle bag to the chair, she propelled herself across the bridge, utilizing past weightless training required for long interstellar voyages.

She skimmed the walls of the nearly dark passageway as if swimming in the air, periodically touching the rails along the ceiling as a guide. Her long wrap-skirt flared out around her legs and floated up in front of her face. She untied it and left it floating.

Celeste frowned. Oh, great. Moon is going to see me in my underwear again.

After descending to a lower deck, she came to the forward docking hatch. She pushed her dark hair away from her eyes and peered through the small hatch window. Within his gray spacesuit, Moon floated in the inner chamber, his arms and legs outstretched. Through his visor, she could see that his eyes were closed. With the outer hatch still open, so he floated within the vacuum of space.

Touching a com button, Celeste called out, "Moon, can you hear me?" No answer or movement. She pounded on the button and pleaded, "Please, Moon..."

She called out, "Sai, are you there? Sai?" Only silence answered her.

A foreboding fear twisted Celeste's gut. Please be okay, Moon.

Celeste examined the docking hatch control panel. Small lights still blinked on it. With a touch of a button, the outer hatch slowly swung closed. She let out a sigh of relief. Fortunately, the docking port had an independent power system that still functioned.

Her fingers drummed. She murmured, "Come on, come on...", while the hatch sealed, and the chamber pressurized.

At last, the servo-motors swung the inner hatch open with a whir. Once enough of a gap, she flew through the opening and wrapped her arms around Moon. Unlatching his helmet, she flung it aside, letting it bounce around off the walls. Two fingertips against his neck brought a small smile and a sigh of relief. She leaned forward, letting the moist warmth of his slow breath tickle her cheek.