Chapter 26.1

Truth cares not about your desires. If you do not bend to its will, you will live a lie.

- Writings of the Sol Empress, Words of Faith

[Celeste]

He looks so peaceful.

Lying on her side in bed with him, Celeste watched Moon's muscular chest rise and fall in slow rhythm as he slept. A pleasant warmth swept through her like a summer breeze.

My lover. My protector. How am I so lucky that he took me back?

Moon's eyes fluttered open. He stretched, flexing his arms above, while expressing an airy groan. His eyes caught hers and he wrinkled his forehead. "What?"

Celeste smiled as her fingers slipped under the white blanket and gently traced a line down his torso to a thigh. "On, nothing. Just admiring the handsome naked man in bed with me."

Snaking an arm under her, Moon pulled her across his chest. "You know, I could get used to waking up every morning with a beautiful naked woman."

Nuzzling her head against his shoulder and looping a leg over his thighs, Celeste purred. Little sparks erupted into shudders as his fingers tickled their way down her side. She almost whimpered when they stopped, going no further than her hip.

Moon whispered, "I'm glad I found you again."

"As am I." Celeste whispered back. "Sorry I shot you." He chuckled. A grin came to her face, then faded. "I need to tell you something, you did a wonderful job raising your children."

"Correction, our children."

"I do not know..."

Moon turned his head to peer into Celeste's eyes. "I do. You gave them life. I still don't agree with your decision to leave, but I understand why you did."

A cloud of remorse shadowed her heart. I missed so much in their lives. Things that I can never get back. And Faith... I missed everything.

Celeste pressed herself against him. "I think Gabriel has accepted me, but Hope still has reservations."

He tightened his arm around her. "Well, Hope always was the stubborn one, even as a baby. But I think she will come around. Celeste, I want us to be a family together once more."

"Careful, I might fall in love with you again."

A sly grin came to Moon. "That's part of my wild ass plan."

"No," Celeste said with a smile. "Actually, I will not fall in love again. Because I never really stopped."

"And I never stopped loving you, and I damn sure don't want to lose you again. Let's formalize this, us together."

Celeste jerked her head up, her eyes widening and breath hitched. "Moon, are you asking me to marry you?"

"I am."

Celeste slithered on top of him and touched her lips against his, slow and soft at first. Moon demanded more, pulling her in for a long deep kiss within tightening arms. She was all too happy to comply. Lips parted and tongues wrestled in a match where both contestants won. A euphoria flooded through Celeste's core, and that small part of her heart left empty for so long, filled and overflowed.

With flushing cheeks, she lowered her lips to his ear and whispered, "Yes."

Celeste yelped as Moon flipped her over to her back and positioned himself on top. Wrapped arms around his neck and spread legs curled around his calves entrapped him there. She pulled him down for another kiss.