Chapter 2.5

[Moon]

Moon called out, "Sai, plot course and speed to put us on top of that Corsair. Match momentum and time it for two minutes before the torpedo catches up with us."

Sai responded, "Sir, once the Corsair notices us, it will likely change course and speed."

"Then you will need to monitor and make adjustments along the way. Try to stay directly behind, the Corsair's sensor array has a blind spot there."

"Yes, sir. And don't spare the horses?"

Moon grinned. "You got it, Sai! At the right time, I will turn our identification beacon back on."

"Sir, wouldn't that make it easier for the torpedo to track us?"

Celeste turned her head toward Moon. He surmised she had the same question. He nodded, still grinning. "I'm counting on it, Sai." He unbuckled his seat harness and stood up. "Priestess, I am going to need your help."

Leading Celeste off the bridge, Moon explained as they climbed up a spiral staircase to the engineering deck. "We are going to unhook the beacon, or rather you are."

"Why me? I know nothing about ship mechanics."

"The beacon is in a tight place and you're smaller than I am. I'll guide you through the process. I hope you are not claustrophobic."

She huffed. "Oh, great..."

They made their way down a dimly lit narrow pathway framed with rows of piping and cable, passing cylindrical vessels and two large closed vats. A control panel between the vessels displayed numbers on a process schematic.

Celeste raised her voice over the monotonous droning noise. "Are these the bio systems?"

Moon pointed. "Yeah, the waste treaters, air and water reclaimers. Are you familiar with these?"

"I've had training in environmental systems engineering."

Stopping, Moon turned to her. "Priestesses get technical training?"

She narrowed her eyes. "Of course. We learn useful skills, too. What did you think?"

"Hmm. I'll keep that in mind. Maybe later you can use your skills to clean the sludge out of the bio-filters."

She rolled her eyes. "Lovely."

They emerged from the dim hallway into an open and brighter lit area. A large transparent panel displaying numbers and charts in multiple colors hung from the wall. A pulsating hum came from two huge white cylinders that extended through the back wall, one on each side of the area. A large black box stood between them, connected by a maze of conduit and small pipes. A bridge crane with a chain hoist spanned the length of the engineering section above.

Moon pointed. "These are the fusion reactors and the quantum displacement drive."

"Where's the beacon?"

He raised his eyes. "Up there."

Her eyes traced a metal rung ladder that disappeared between pipes into a small dark hole in the ceiling. The hole was barely bigger than she was. "Ohhh..."

Moon took a wrench, a pry bar, and a work light from a tool rack mounted on the wall. He placed them in a satchel and handed it to Celeste. "This is all you will need. Better get going, we don't have much time."

She frowned and snatched the satchel from him, slinging it over her shoulder. Untying her long skirt, she let fall to her ankles and stepped out of it. As Moon's eyes went wide and his breath halted, she turned and narrowed her eyes at him. "This is not for your benefit, Moon. I don't want to snag my skirt."