Chapter 38.3

[Hope]

The open door revealed an enormous round wooden table in the center of the room, rough and unfinished, that reminded Hope of the ancient King Arthur tales. Thirteen women rose from their chairs as Hope and Gabriel entered, twelve wearing the traditional white gowns of a Sol Priestess plus Empress Pro Tempore Ali Zahara, also in a white gown. As the white door closed, twenty-four eyes, most weathered by long life, scanned Hope in silent critique.

Hope suppressed a gulp and stood tall. Yup, definitely being judged.

"Welcome, Empress Designate Hope Morr," Ali said with a formal bow. "This hearing of the Sol Governance Board is the final step of approval to bestow the title of Sol Empress. Priestess Celeste Ciel has already testified to your lineage."

The women sat down around the table. Gael Bross took the remaining open chair, leaving Hope and Gabriel standing alone. Wearing her tight black tactical suit, Hope felt underdressed. Gabriel, with his dark t-shirt and loose gray pants, was more so, but he seemed not to mind.

One particular Priestess, dark-skinned with short silvery hair, drew her brown eyes into narrow slits and pointed a bent finger. "The man, he should not be here. It is irregular, not the Sol Way. He cannot ascend."

Gael answered. "The times are irregular, Laya. He is a child of Iona and brother to the Empress Designate, thus he has a right to be present."

Gabriel took one step forward. "If I may, Priestess, I do not seek to upend the long traditions of the Sol Way, nor do I seek office. I am only here to support my sister, the true Empress."

A pleasant warmth swept through Hope at her brother's affirmation.

Ali nodded an approval as she stood. "There is one last test." She lifted an ornate golden staff from a holder. A clear orb that depicted humanity's home star, Sol, topped the staff, surrounded by spherical layers of woven gold filament. She handed it to Hope. "Take this and may the light of the Empress shine, daughter of Iona."

Hope grasped the staff and felt its weight, representing more than just the force of gravity, but also a lifelong responsibility. She held it high. A blue glow emerged from the orb, increasing in brightness until it washed the room with blazing light.

The women shielded their eyes. With a nod, Hope passed the staff to the tentative grasp of her brother. The light shown again, every bit as bright. Now they know he is also a child of Iona.

"I must protest!" Priestess Laya said, the one who challenged Gabriel's presence. She stood, leaning forward with hands on the table. "The Designate was not raised in the tradition of the Sol Way, but as a simple commoner. She is not ready to become Empress."

An anger ignited in Hope's chest. How dare she belittle my upbringing! Hope stepped forward, glaring at Laya. "Priestess, I grew up as an ordinary girl at a remote colony unknowing of my genetic heritage, an upbringing I treasure. Our father taught us the ways of honest life and work. Nearly every day we studied the Writings. Even before I was born, those who would end the Line of the Empress have hunted us."

Hope's voice took a razor edge. "My sister Faith, the Empress Designate before me, died in my arms. Murdered! On the run, I came out on Elysium and exposed the Trade Consortium's treachery. Ephenia cost me a leg, and nearly the lives of myself and my brother, yet we persevered to renew that world. I secured a coalition with the Confederacy and faced down the full might of the Commonwealth military. Now I stand before you with the genetic Line of the Empress confirmed." Hope paused, letting the silence crawl across the table. "Do you still feel me unqualified?"

Laya drew her lips tight, blowing air out of her nose. She did not answer the challenge, instead sat down.

"Awesome, Hope." Gabriel whispered to her as the Sol Board prepared for a vote. "But you didn't mention that we could kick all their butts."

Hiding a grin, Hope whispered back. "Didn't think that would be helpful."

The voice vote came out eleven in favor and one against.

"Excellent." Ali said, standing. "The Installation Ceremony will be held in ten days. Let us toast the success of the new Sol Empress."

In response to a touch of her viewer, attendants burst into the room with three dark glass bottles and a tray of crystal glasses, distributing them around the table. Two additional chairs appeared for Hope and Gabriel beside Ali. Each glass received a measure of red wine.

Everyone stood, glass in hand. Ali lifted her glass high, swirling the liquid. "A rare wine from the grapes of Earth, fitting for this moment. To the Sol Empress and the Sol Way!" She tipped the glass toward her lips.

Hope did the same, but a red flashing light and beeping sound from the left wrist of her tactical outfit caught her attention. "Stop!" she shouted. With a swipe, Hope knocked the glass from Ali's hand, sending the wine sloshing across the table and shattering the glass into shards. Offended gasps broke out across the table.

"Poison!" Hope held up the flashing light on her wrist. "My suit has an embedded threat detection system."

"Security!" Ali yelled at the ceiling. Within a heartbeat, a squad of armed Sol Guards burst into the room, Eshe with them, taking protective positions around the room. A sweep of a portable detector confirmed that all the wine was spiked with a potent synthetic neurotoxin.

Amid the din, Gabriel stepped up and raised his voice, putting a name to the threat. "Priestesses, you have witnessed Diego's treachery firsthand. He will not stop until the Line of the Empress has ended. Let the Installation happen as soon as possible, so that he does not have time to plan another attempt."