Chapter 20.2

[Faith]

Faith's mind swirled. A twist of anger emerged from her emotional side. He should have told us earlier! But her more rational side understood. He protected us. Life was simpler not knowing.

Her upbringing made more sense now — why they lived in this remote section of settled space, far from the Commonwealth's influence; the intense schooling; the weapons and martial arts training; why he had insisted that they study the Writings of the Empress; the source of her disease; and why they had to avoid genetic databases.

He was grooming me to be the next Empress, the destiny for which my mother died.

It became too much. Destiny's unyielding grip squeezed Faith's heart, and she ran out of the galley, leaving her father behind while his eyes pleaded her to stay. In the darkened bedroom, she sat on the bed, leaning against the back wall with knees drawn up and a pillow clutched to her chest.

Breathe. Just breathe.

Faith never knew for sure what triggered the seizures, perhaps strong emotions played a role. It always started with a crushing chest pain. Wheezing, she desperately sucked breath through constricted airways.

This is the worst one yet.

She crawled across the bed, an arm swiping toward the bedside table where her inhaler laid. Instead, she knocked it to the floor. Sparkling lights appeared before her eyes, and a swirling dizziness stole her balance. She collapsed on the bed, trembling face down and struggling to gain a breath.

Moon scooped his daughter into his arms, cradling her in his lap. He placed the inhaler against her lips, releasing the medicinal mist. After a moment, breathing became easier and the chest pain faded.

Holding her close, he spoke in a whisper. "I am sorry, my daughter. I know this is difficult."

Faith looked up with moistened eyes. "Do I have a choice?"

"Yes. There is always choice."

"But would they hunt me down, no matter what I decide?"

Moon paused, then answered, "Yes."

"And when this disease takes me, what then?"

"It would fall to Hope."

Faith firmed her resolve. I have to protect my sister while I can.

*****

The doctor confirmed Faith's belief. Despite all the medical resources available to past Empresses over hundreds of years, a cure had yet to be discovered. But the doctor offered some new treatments to make the symptoms more bearable. The rare seizures and occasional asthma-like attacks were bad enough, but the worst was the near constant fatigue.

Emerging from the shower, she gazed at her gaunt figure in the mirror while smoothing back thinning sandy-brown hair. Each rib stood out, and her cheeks hollowed. Perhaps I might put on some weight, too.

The voice of her father came over the com system. "Faith, we are getting a distress call. I am diverting to investigate. Come to the bridge when you can."

She replied, "Okay, Dad."

Faith glanced up at a display panel as she walked onto the bridge, showing a man, woman, and child huddled together under dim light. They flinched as bright sparks crackled in the background. The little boy, perhaps five or six Earth years old, trembled in the woman's arms, clutching a stuffed animal. The wide eyes and tight lips of the adults spoke of fear. At once, Faith's heart went out to them.