Chapter 2.1

Lasting movements often start from unexpected beginnings.

     - Writings of the Sol Empress, Words of Faith

[Moon]

Moon couldn't shake the vague feeling that crept down his spine, like fate was about to sneak up and bite him in the arse. Reflexively, he turned around, scanning the space behind him. Nothing. He blew out a breath as his fingers drummed against the captain's chair arm.

Two empty chairs flanked him, each positioned slightly forward, overlooking a set of translucent display panels. A holographic display on the front wall presented a starry space panorama. A mid-sized cargo ship usually carried several crew, but he preferred the solitude.

He called out, "Sai, status!"

An alto feminine voice, rich in overtones, came over the bridge intercom. Had it actually belonged to a woman, he would have thought it alluring. "All parameters are within normal operating ranges, sir."

He rubbed the stubble on his chin. "Do a full internal and external sensor sweep. Something feels off."

"Can you be more specific as to what is off, sir?"

Moon shook his head. "No. It is just a feeling I have. My instincts are fairly reliable."

"Past experience suggests otherwise, sir," the voice responded. "Your accuracy rate for such non-specific feelings is only about twenty-four percent. Hardly better than random given the nature of our business and your lack of discretion in personal relationships."

He rolled his eyes. "Just run the sweeps."

"They are under way, sir. Nothing unusual yet."

"You know for a ship AI, you can be really annoying."

"I am the product of my programming, sir. As I recall, you modified me outside of the Commonwealth Machine Learning Protocols, potentially a Class Two Felony."

He narrowed his eyes. "Keep in mind, Sai, your programming can be further altered."

The voice paused. "So noted, sir."

Moon paced across the bridge, only about eight steps in width, gazing at the colored numbers and charts displayed on the transparent control panels as he passed. "This feeling may not be so non-specific. Something was happening at the spaceport just before we left. We only just got underway just before they cancelled all departures."

"That is not exactly true, sir. We left after the port lockdown came into effect when you feigned communication difficulties, a violation of port regulations that may have resulted in substantial fines or ship seizure. Your action was understandable, though, given the contraband nature of some of our cargo."

He ran a hand through bushy sandy-brown hair. "Hmm. I wonder what caused the lockdown?"

Sai answered, "Based on the communications I monitored, it appeared to be a manhunt. The nature of the subject or offence is unknown at this time."

"Must have been something big to close the port." He shrugged. "Oh well, as long as it wasn't me."

He was almost seated when Sai came on again. "Sir, I am picking up movement in the starboard pressurized cargo hold. It appears we have a stowaway, a woman I believe."

Moon's eyes widened. He mumbled out loud. "I hope it isn't that woman I met at the tavern last night, whatever her name was."

"It was Carise, sir, and in her state of inebriation it would be unlikely she would remember your name."