Chapter 9.5

[Moon]

Moon met Mihra at the docking bay hatch. The cylindrical shape of her shuttle, with the name "Harmony" stenciled on its side near the bow, appeared through the bay window. Apparently designed also for atmospheric flight, it featured swept-back wings extended from both sides. Once the green safe light appeared, he swung open the heavy rounded hatch.

Her black shoulder bag swung low as she ducked through the door to meet him. The tall woman nearly looked Moon straight in the eyes and had a sturdy form that some might find intimidating. The wide toothy grin that emerged on her face countered any such impression, the smile even more apparent by the contrast between white teeth and dark skin. The bright colors of her long patterned dress flowed as she stepped past the threshold. Moon extended a hand in greeting with a smile of his own. But she would have none of that, instead grappling him in a hug tight enough to take away his breath.

Celeste was right. She is a hugger.

Once able to break away, he said, "Priestess Gwend, welcome to the Phoenix Star. I am Elijah Lee, captain and crew of this ship."

"I be not one for formalities, Captain. Call me Mihra."

He bowed his head. "Then call me Moon."

She pinched his cheek. "A handsome one you be, Moon. But enough chat. You know who I be eager to see."

Moon extended his hand down the hallway. "Follow me, then."

As they walked, he asked, "Umm, did you bring the baby supplies? We didn't get a chance to stock up at Oracle."

"Yes. In the aft hold."

He looked up towards the ceiling. "Sai, have one of your robot minions unload the supplies and bring them to us right away."

A voice answered. "Yes, sir."

Moon turned to Mihra. "We could really, really use some diapers. The babies have soaked just about every spare piece of cloth I have."

She grinned. "Babies be good at that."

"And watch out for Gabriel. I swear he has a two-meter range."

Mihra chuckled as she rounded the bedroom door, then put her hands to her mouth. "Look at you, girl!"

Celeste sat on the bed, leaning back on pillows stacked against the wall, holding a baby at each breast. Another fussed in Nanny-bot's arms, waving tiny limbs in protest. Wadded t-shirts secured with gray tape served as diapers.

Celeste smiled at her guest. "Mihra, I would like you to meet Faith," she tilted her head down toward her left breast, "And Hope." She tilted to the right. "Gabriel is not so patiently waiting his turn, but I only have two nipples."

Mihra shook her head with wide eyes. "This be wondrous. Be they truly heir of the Sol Empress?"

"They are. And I have quite the tale to tell you."

Mihra asked, "May I apply the Signet test?"

Celeste nodded. "Of course."

Mihra sat on the bed next to Celeste and removed a small handheld device from her shoulder bag. The satiny metallic cylinder spanned just longer than her outstretched hand.

Moon pointed. "What is this?"

Celeste answered. "It is a genetic scanner to confirm if someone is in the direct line of the Sol Empress. It is also a key of sorts."

Mihra gently pried Faith's tiny hand open and placed the device against the baby's palm. By reflex, Faith tried to grasp the cylinder, but it was far too big for such a tiny hand. Within a moment, a faint blue glow appeared from a clear tab on the end of the device. It grew more intense, becoming like an electric arc. Moon turned his eyes away from the brightness. Faith paid no heed to the process, instead devoting her attention to dinner.