Chapter Four

Chapter 4

The following day I sleep in late, and when I wake up I have two texts, and one miss call from Emily.

What's with Aiden?

Do you like him?

I just ignore the text. I don't want to talk about it anymore.

I go to the kitchen, and there's already cereal sitting out, so I get some milk and sit down at the island and make my breakfast. Dad is at the desk and his glasses are tipped on the end of his nose looking intensely at his laptop.

"What are you doing?" I ask.

"I'm buying bedding, and dorm supplies for Conner."

"Oh. Is mom not helping you?" I ask him.

"Yes, she's already given me some money." he replies, and I just nod. I have a bad habit of jumping to conclusions when it comes to my mom. I know I shouldn't be like that, but I can't help it. I guess I'm more unforgiving than I would like.

Conner walks up behind me and snatches the bowl out from under my hand as I finish pouring the milk in it. "Hey!" I blurt out as he starts eating it. He can be so annoying sometimes. "Don't you have plans with Scarlett or something?" I go to the cabinet to grab another bowl.

"Nope, just with my sis." he answers, still stuffing his mouth with my cereal. I smile. I'm glad he's taking a day away from her. I could really use a Conner-Mora day.

"What are we doing?" I ask him.

"I'm thinking we will go to the Woodlands mall because I need to get some more gym clothes for practice, and we can grab lunch after."

"Okay." I agree, scarfing down my breakfast to run upstairs and get ready.

Once I put my hair up in a messy bun I throw on an Islanders T-shirt, and worn out skinny jeans.

We're in the middle of Homegoods when he picks out an ugly grey and green plaid bedding. "No." I say. "Anyway, I think dad already ordered you one."

"Oh, really?." He says putting the comforter back on the shelf.

I follow him putting a couple picture frames in the buggy. "What's those for?" he ask, and I look at him like he's stupid.

"Umm... pictures." I answer with sarcasm.

"No shit, but what am I supposed to do with them."

My face remains dumbfounded. "Put a picture in your dorm." I answer slowly, then add "of you and Scarlett because we don't need girls thinking you're single bub."

He hesitates for a second then sighs loudly "Mora, what am I going to do all year without Scarlett. I just don't know if I can make long distance work." he cries, and I stop him from pushing the buggy.

"Sure you can Con." I answer with confidence.

"I don't know. It's a known fact that I like attention. I wish I wasn't like that, but I'm being real. I just need that affection, and not only will I not see her during the week, but I'm going to be so busy with games, and practice. It's going to be tough being able to hold down a relationship."

I never thought about that... how he must be feeling about leaving her.

"Conner, all you can do is try. If it doesn't work, at least you can say you tried." I repeat myself and he looks down at the floor. "Listen, I don't think you want to break up with her, and I would hate for you to make that decision right now if in the long run you two can make this relationship work. This is all new, and honestly you just don't know yet..." I preach with certainty. "I wouldn't assume that it's going to go one way, when it could go the complete other way. You know?" I reassure him, and he sighs with a little relief.