Chapter Seven

Chapter 7

It's seven when we head out. The bed of dad's truck, and Conner's car are fully loaded down.

"Big college kid" dad rubs Conner's head like he's a little boy. "Dad." he grunts, and swats my dad's hand away from him. I laugh loudly at the two of them while walking out of the house behind them.

Once I get in the car with Conner I start to sing "On the road again, I can't wait to get on the road again." and Conner interrupts me. "It's too early for that shit." I smile, because Conner's windows are down, and I know dad can hear him.

"Mouth!" He yells loudly before getting into his truck.

We pull up at a gas station, and before dad gets out to pump gas he walks over to ask if we need anything. We both shake our head, and I look over at Con. "You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm better today. I'm just focusing on all the good shit that's happening for me right now, and I'm sure Scar and I will be fine."

"Sure you will." I nudge his shoulder, and kick my feet up on the dash to get ready for the long trip.

Four hours later and we're pulling up at his dorms and Mom is sitting in her SUV waiting on us.

"Hey kids." She gets out, and gives both of us a hug before helping us to unload his stuff. "How was the trip here?" She asks my dad.

"It was good. Traffic wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be."

"Good". She looks at me. "How's your summer been sis?"

"It's been good." I'm trying to keep my head low hoping she doesn't ask, but she's about to anyway. "Since Conner is here, why don't you stay too for the rest of the summer?" Damn it.

"I don't know. I was hoping to spend a little more time with Dad because I don't want him to be alone since Conner is officially moved here now." It was a lie. Dad was okay but she didn't need to know that. "And Scarlett is having a really hard time right now." The one truth I can find.

Dad and Conner are lifting a big chest up the stairs and mom keeps talking "Well I'm sure your dad will be okay for a couple months, and why not invite Scarlett to stay with you down here for a week or two? Wouldn't that be fun?" It did sound like it could be somewhat fun if Scarlett could come with me. "I don't know. I'll think about it." I say to her.

I'm already spending this weekend with her. A promise I made months ago in agreement to me staying back home with Conner for the first half of this summer.

We finally make it up to Conner's room. The walls are an ugly tan color, and all he has is a twin bed, and a tiny desk big enough for a laptop, and maybe a small lamp. The bed on the right is already dressed in blue sheets, and a blanket.

"Are you rooming with anyone we know?" I ask.

"No. I think his name is Adam. I'm not sure where he's from, but I know he's also a freshman on the team." That's cool. He'll have someone to relate to.

We get everything set up in his room, then leave to go eat at an Italian restaurant that my mom is always raving about.

"We're so proud of you bub." My dad examines my brother from across the table, and mom leans into Conner in response to dad's statement.

"And before we know it, we'll have sis to be proud of too." My mom responds, and my dad says "We sure will, as long as she can make it to her classes in time, unlike work." Pshh. I can't believe he just threw me under the bus like that.

"Hey! I was only late twice!" I explain, and they all laugh while I roll my eyes.

"Jared, are you staying in town tonight?" mom asks.