Chapter Thirty-Four

The winter season comes, and leaves quickly. Everyone was happy when they found out Aiden made the baseball team at A&M, and my family was ecstatic when I got my acceptance letter from them last month. Aiden, and I will go to college together.

    Our first Christmas was celebrated apart. I had to go to my mom's for the break. We made sure to exchange gifts once I was back. I got him a wood plaque that had the star constellation engraved on it because we spent our first night together by the lake looking at the stars. The best gift was my gift from him though. It was a silver necklace that had one pearl that sits inside the bottom of an infinity symbol. I told him it was too much and I couldn't accept it but he refused to take it back. I've worn it everyday since.

    Now it's spring, and the prom is a week away. Scarlett and Josh finally made their relationship official around the same time my brother asked out Lucy. It's crazy how much has changed in just a year.

    "Scarlett, I'm not trying this dress on." I say as I hand back a bright pink short strapless dress.

    She cries loudly from outside the dressing room. "Come on Mora. It's super cute." I can see her feet under the door, so I open it enough to stick my head out.

    "Scarlett, where are the dresses that I picked out?" I'm standing in my panties, and strapless bra on the other side.

    "Fine!" she sighs and stomps away coming back a few seconds later. "It's your choice to look like a grandma for your senior prom, but I don't want to hear you cry about it years from now when you look back at your prom photos with regret." she's so dramatic.

    "Just hand me your favorite one that I picked out." I let her think she has some control.

    "Well, this one isn't too bad." she throws it over the door. It's a dark lavender mock necked gown with lace on top underlined in black. The bottom half poofs out stopping at my knees in a solid purple. As soon as I try it on, I know that it's the one. I don't have to try on another.

    "Well let me see!" Scarlett is losing patience.

    I walk out slowly, staring down at the bottom of the dress. "Well?" I ask, keeping my eyes down. Scarlett doesn't say anything so I glance up to see her expression.

    She looks partially pleased. "Well I have to say..." she tilts her head sideways to take a better look at me. "I like it. Not what I would have chosen for myself, but you pull it off very well." she gleams at me. She has a way of making an insult sound like a compliment.

    "Thanks Scarlett. How sweet of you." I roll my eyes, and go back into the dressing room to change back into my clothes. "I wish you would tell me what your dress looks like."

    "I told you Mora. It's a surprise." I put the dress back on the hanger, and put my purse over my shoulder.

    "Fine." I exaggerate my words. "Whatever makes you happy."

We take another thirty minutes to find my shoes and then I text Aiden the colors of my dress so he can finally get his tux.

Dress is lavender purple with black accent.

My mom took off today, and let me skip school to get ready for the prom. She's so excited. Things are still a little awkward between my parents since Lorene has entered the picture, but it's like that big elephant in the room; we all feel it, but choose to ignore that it's there.

Mom walks in the house looking at the living room furniture and decor. "Not much has changed." she says with a small grin. I don't think she's been back home since she left dad.