Chapter Twenty-One

I decide to wear a long sleeve Islanders t-shirt, black jeans, and converse to the game. I just finished my last curl in my hair when Ross knocks on the front door.

    "Hey, come on in, and sorry just give me about ten more minutes, and I'll be ready to go." I say with bobby pins sticking out of my mouth, and I motion him to the kitchen island to sit down.

    "Cool. I can't wait to see if Con will get to play tonight." he's making conversation and picking through the cookie jar.

    "I don't think he's playing tonight, but it will be good to be there and support the team anyway." I yell down the hall now trying to gather up my night bag, and clothes. "So I talked to Scarlett last night, and she's not coming!"

    "Why?!" Ross is yelling back. Instead of responding right then, I grab my bag and start running down stairs.

    "Explain in the car. I'm ready. Let's go." I say, and he grabs one more cookie before we leave the house.

    Ross waits on me to lock the door, then we walk down to his car together. "Here, let me put your bag in the trunk." He snatches up the bag from my shoulder, tossing it in his trunk.

    "Thanks." I say before I get into the car to wait on him. Once he's in and we've got our seat belts on I continue. "So, Conner broke up with Scarlett." and when I tell him his mouth drops in shock.

    "You're kidding!" he gasps, not believing my words.

    "I guess not. I found out through text, because Scarlett refused to pick up my phone calls."

    Ross squints his eyes at me. "That's weird. Why is she being so shady about it?"

    "The question is, why are they being shady about it?" I focalize on the word they.

"So Conner didn't tell you?"

"No! Can you believe that? I mean, I can't even believe he didn't tell you." I'm getting upset just discussing it right now, and I don't want to because this day is about Conner.

"I'm just as boggled as you, but it's not our relationship Mora, and we can't get mad at them if their feelings changed for one another."

"Right Ross - I wouldn't get upset about that, but what I'm upset about is they didn't tell us. What's to hide?"

"I don't know. Are you going to ask Conner?"

"Yes. As soon as I see him."

"Well don't forget that no matter what happened, they are probably both going through a tough time right now." he's warning me to not make it about me, as he should.

"You're right. I guess I'm just worried how this will affect my friendship with Scarlett."

"I understand." he says, then changes the subject. "So, is Aiden cool that you're riding with me?" of course he would bring up Aiden.

"He's okay with it I guess." I answer, and he peers over at me.

"You guess?"

"Yeah, I don't know. He just asked if we were riding alone, and I told him that Scarlett was coming with us. At the time I thought she was, and I just haven't talked to him since."

"Mora, I doubt he's going to like that we're riding together alone for four hours. You might want to tell him before someone else does."

"I don't want to worry and stress about him while I'm trying to have a good time. He shouldn't be upset about it period because you are my friend, and one of my oldest friends at that. He needs to realize that there isn't anything between us." I answer him firm to make it clear that there isn't anything between us, and when I do he looks back at the road. "and you are dating Sophie." I add on.