Chapter Six

Chapter 6

It's a Friday night, three weeks later.

Dad decides to invite a few guys from Conner's team to go bowling on his final night home.

"Are you ready for me to kick your ass?" Conner asks me while we pull into the parking lot of the bowling alley. My dad interjects "Son, don't say ass."

While we both look at him like he's a hypocrite, Conner laughs "Dad, I'm eighteen, and the word "ass" should be the least of your worries when it comes to my vocabulary." he snorts out loud all Conner like, and my dad just rolls his eyes.

Scarlett and Emily are already there with Ross, and three of Conner's other friends.

"I'm so ready to kick all your butts" I yell across the crowd as we enter the building.

"You wish!" Ross yells back.

Ross is in dark faded blue jeans, and wearing a black and grey baseball tee. His hair is freshly cut. "Nice haircut." I say making my way to the table.

"Thanks." he smiles back at me.

Scarlett already had our bowling shoes waiting on us.

The first and second game Ross, and Jeremiah dominated. Conner claims he let them win, but we all know that's not true. Emily and I came in last place. This was normal for us.

"Hey y'all." we all turn around

"Hi Lorene." My dad says while walking her over to us. Conner gives me a look, but I ignore him, and go hug her.

"Hey Lorene, are you here to get beat at bowling?" I ask, and before she answers Conner is sneaking up beside her giving her a hug "Of course she is, I mean beat by me anyway." he says out loud, and I just laugh at him before attempting to swing at him. Of course he ducks before I make contact.

"Shut it!" I say, and Emily follows "Yeah, shut it Conner!" Everyone laughs.

After a couple hours, the game gets boring. "Emily, do you want to go play pool?" I ask only her, because everyone else is cheering, and having a good time. Emily and I can't win to save our lives. "Yes, sounds like a good idea." She says.

We walk to the other side of the bowling alley where the pool tables are, and that's when I see her.

Sophie, and some guy that isn't Aiden. I don't say anything, but then she sees me, and walks up leaving the table of people behind.

"Hey guys." She says to us, just standing there. "Um hey." I say. Sophie is a grade below us, and she's never really talked to me before besides that day at the mall. We know of each other, but we're not friends.

"Hey girl." Emily says to her with a smile.

"What are you guys doing tonight?" Sophie asks.

"Tonight is my brother's last night so we're all here bowling." I answer.

"Cool!" She cheerfully says before asking "Is Ross with you guys too?" I wonder why she's asking about Ross.

Emily answers before I can. "Yep. They are kicking our asses."

"We'll play against you girls in a game of pool if you want?" She asks Emily and I, while gesturing to the guy she's with to come over.

"Sure. Thanks Sophie." Emily answers.

I wonder who this guy is. I've never seen him before.

"This is Trey." she answers my thoughts

"Hi. I'm Emily, and this is Mora." Emily injects, and we both shake his hand.