Chapter Ten

Chapter 10

When I get to work, Lorene is on the phone arguing with someone. "What's going on?" I ask her once she hangs up the phone. "Oh It's nothing honey. Just some custody stuff."

Late last year Lorene and her husband got a divorce, and since then they've been having a big custody battle over their ten year old son Hayden.

"Oh I'm so sorry you're going through all this right now Lorene."

"Me too Mora. Me too." she sighs out loud then goes into the kitchen.

"Hey kiddo. Y'all have fun last night?" my dad walks inside throwing an old tire down in a pile we keep back behind the front office.

"Yeah. We went and rode go karts with a couple friends from school." I answer. "I can't believe I never went with you when I was younger. I had no idea it could be so much fun." I admit, and he smiles. "It is fun huh?" I nod at him.

I have three texts when I get off work. One from Emily, Ross, and Scarlett.

Emily and Scarlett text were from earlier today asking me if I'm going to the fish fry, and Ross was just a few minutes ago. He's obviously there because he just says

Hey come out to Zachs. Everyone is here.

Before I text any of them back, I text Aiden.

Hey? Is the ride still available?

Yes. What time do I need to come get u?

I'm heading home now to get ready. Is six too late?

No. See u soon.

I text Ross back.

Be there around 6:15. Tell Scar and Emily.

10-4

I decide on a flowy beige tank top, with my ripped skinny jeans, and open toed booties. I curl my hair, and put on a light red lipstick, and shadow my eyes.

I'm waiting outside on the porch swing as Aiden pulls up, and I quickly grab my purse, and slowly start walking to his jeep. He leans over to open his passenger side door from the inside.

"Hey" he smiles big, staring at me. I act like his smile doesn't affect me. "Hey. Thanks for picking me up."

"Welcome."

As we're riding down the road, I can feel his eyes look over at me. I can't help but ask "What?" and he jerks his eyes back to the road.

"Um." he swallows hard "You look really nice tonight." he says

"Oh. Thank you. So do you." I say back. He's in black jeans, with a maroon pocket t-shirt on, and black converse shoes. His hair is fixed really nice too. His eyes are a bright blue when the sunlight hits the windshield.

"Well thank you." he smiles while keeping his eyes on the road.

We're finally at Zachs'. "Have you already been here?" I ask him as we're walking around the side of the house where the fence gate is at.

"Yeah. The fish is mediocre. Just a heads up." We both laugh as he opens the gate.

When we walk out back there's about thirty kids, including Emily, Zoe, Scarlett, Ross, and Sophie.

"Sophie is here?" I can't help but ask Aiden.

"Yeah. Zach invited her." he answers. I just nod.

Ross spots us first, and he just pauses staring at the two of us. Aiden doesn't seem to notice, stopping to say something to Shawn. Josh runs up to me before I make it over to my friends, and picks me up in the air. "Andrews!" he yells.