Chapter Twenty-Eight

A couple days later after hours of begging, and pleading my dad agrees to let me ride down to Corpus Christi with Aiden. He made my mom confirm that we would not sleep in the same room, and that most of my time would be spent with her and not him.

    He has baseball tryouts all day on Saturday so we leave Friday right after school lets out. We packed our bags this morning before school so we wouldn't have to stop after.

"I'm hungry. Let's get a burger somewhere before we hit the interstate." Aiden chimes while I go through his iPod to find some music to play. Aiden and I have the same taste in music, and I love it.

I decided to play his nineties playlist. It's full of alternative music though. No pop, or country. I could totally listen to Britney or Shania right now. "Aiden, you need to add some pop to your mix." I claim, and he just rolls his eyes at me.

"I have pop in there." and it's true.

"Today's pop. Where's all your old pop like N'sync, and Backstreet Boys?"

He snorts. "I don't do boy bands."

"Why?" I deadpan.

"It's all commercial music, sounds alike, and not to mention it's only meant for a profit." and I huff at his comments.

"All music is made for a profit." I feel a debate coming on.

"No, all music isn't made for a profit... but those bands are."

"I love those bands. Their music is filled with emotion." I say as he turns into the drive through of Conroe's burger joint.

"Yes if you are a sixteen year old girl." he says, and I just laugh at him. I think he's forgetting our ages.

"Aiden, you have an old soul."

"Thanks babe." he takes it as a compliment.

Once we get our food, we hit the road. "Does your mom really not mind that I stay there?" he asks with concern.

"She said it was fine. I promise. She's very laid back when it comes to things like that." I answer him, before taking a sip of my coke.

"Is Conner staying there too?"

"No. He has a game tomorrow."

"Oh yeah. I wasn't thinking." he admits, and I just nod.

"So while he's playing, you'll be trying out. Do you think you'll make the team?"

"I hope so. It will bruise my ego a little if I don't make it, but I know there are alot of good players out there so I'm not getting my hopes up."

"Conner says it's a lot harder than high school. Dad even told me that he's considering dropping out at the end of the season."

"What? What about his scholarship?"

"I don't know. I asked dad about that, but he didn't say much. All he told him was to do what makes him happy. He'll probably help pay like he's helping me. I applied for some scholarships, but dad already told me if he needs to help he will."

"That's awesome. So you won't have to work and go to school?" he asks.

"Oh no. I have to work. Dad made that very clear." I say, and we both laugh. "What about you?"

"Mom and Dad made me and Tristan college funds when we were babies. When he died, they transferred his funds into mine so I should be covered." he says, and I can't help but feel sorry for him. What it must feel like. Why would his parents even tell him that his college money was supposed to be for his brother.