Chapter Thirty-Seven

I wake up late the following day, and just lay in bed hungover from crying so much last night. My head is stuffed, and throbbing. I finally check my phone, and all I have is a text from my brother checking on me. I don't respond.

    I still can't believe that she asked him to pass up a full ride scholarship to play baseball. If she even had the thought to ask him to throw something like that away, why would she even consider listening to me, but at the same time this isn't even about me. It's about him. Even if he gets mad at me, he can't always pass up life changing opportunities because he's afraid to hurt his mom's feelings. It's not fair to him.

    I quickly jump out of bed, and throw on some joggers, and a sweatshirt and grab my keys to leave. I know that he's playing a basketball game with the guys today so I decide to head over there now. While running down the stairs my dad and Lorene are eating lunch at the table.

    "Where are you rushing off to?" dad asks, but I don't stop to answer him.

    "Headed to Aiden's. Be back later." I yell, as I open and shut the door behind me.

    On my way there I fix my hair in the rear-view mirror and notice my eyes are still puffy from the night before. I look so terrible, and on a normal day I wouldn't want his mom to see me this way, but right now I really don't care.

    When I pull up I see that Aiden's jeep isn't here, so I sit there for a minute building up the courage to get out of the car. My heart is beating out of my chest when I see her. She walks outside with a bag of trash. I have to get out now that she's seen me.

    "Mora?" she looks at me confused. "Aiden isn't here right now." she says as I get out of my car.

    "I know. I came..." I pause to take a breath. "to talk to you." I mutter, and she stands there for a moment until she realizes why I'm really here.

    "Of course sweetheart. Why don't you come inside." She lays the trash on the curb, and greets me inside.

    The house still smells like cookies, and spices. It always smells so good in here. I find it remarkable that she still finds time to keep up the house and chores when she's so sad all the time. It breaks my heart that she can't be happy.

    "Mora honey, would you like a drink of water or tea?" she asks me.

    "I'll take water please." I say and sit down on the sofa staring at the black screen of the TV.

    "Here you go." she says and hands me a bottled water.

    "Thank you." I answer, and she sits down next to me.

    "Mora, I'm guessing you're here because he talked to you about school?" she's direct, and I feel a sudden panic take over. I don't know how to start.

    I just sit silent wishing I wouldn't have come here, when suddenly she speaks for me. "I'm sorry that he's not going to school with you. I know it's hard to understand right now, but I just can't..." she stops talking and starts crying. "I just can't..." she keeps saying, but then loses her breath. I think she's having a panic attack, and now I'm mad at myself for upsetting her.

I decide to hug her, because I don't know what else to do. She is crying into my shoulder. I'm shocked at how quickly her mood changed. "It's okay Ms. Bryant." I keep trying to sooth her, and hold her tightly until her breathing gets back to normal.

"No it's really not okay." she says and I don't understand. "I don't know what to do Mora. I feel awful for even asking him to stay, but I don't think I can make it without him." I can see where Aiden gets his honesty and heart from.