Chapter 20 | No Pack Of Mine

I padded down the stairs in my sweats, pulling my hair into a messy ponytail, peeking around the corner, noticing my father sitting in the kitchen on a bar stool, stuffing his face with his breakfast.

I took a deep breath, knowing that my Dad and I needed to have a talk about me finding my mate, but I didn't know how he was going to react about me not telling him, and the last thing I wanted to do was stress him out even more when Jared was missing.

Dylan had walked me home last night, and I was hoping that my Dad and were going to talk then, but he had gone to bed, and I didn't want to disturb him.

Dylan had offered for me to stay the night with him, but I felt like I needed some time by myself to try and deal with everything that was going on, despite the fact that my wolf was longing for us to stay together every second of the day.

"Good morning," I said as I stepped out from behind the corner, trying to make my walk seem natural as I settled down on the barstool opposite my father, pouring myself a cup of coffee.

"Good morning. What time did you get back last night?" asked my Dad, raising his eyebrows.

"I don't know, I didn't check," I replied, avoiding eye contact, focusing my gaze on the marble counter top, suddenly finding it incredibly fascinating.

"Okay, well, Alpha Paul has agreed to organise a search party since Jared has been missing for over twenty four hours now. I'm going to go and check with him after I've finished my breakfast."

I nodded, feeling a sense of relief that a search party was finally going to be put out there. I knew we had a much better chance of finding my little brother the more volunteers we had.

"I'm coming, and I'm sure Gia will too," I said, taking a swig of my coffee.

"And your mate?" asked my Dad, raising one of eyebrows, causing me to almost choke on my coffee.

"Umm, yeah, Dylan will probably come if he isn't training," I responded, taking a deep breath, feeling incredibly awkward.

"You found your mate and you didn't tell me."

Guilt washed over me as I looked at my Dad's hurt face, my brows furrowing. "I'm sorry Dad. It was just such a shock to me, I didn't really even know how to handle it myself, and I didn't want to stress you guys out with the thought of me having to leave become a Luna. I didn't want you and Jared to think I wouldn't have time for you."

"Being a Luna is a big responsibility," stated my Father, nodding at me.

"Thanks, no pressure," I said, rolling my eyes, getting down from the kitchen barstool and pulling on my shoes.

"It's nothing you won't be able to handle. I always knew you were destined for greatness."

"Well, I can't exactly turn it down," I replied, a wave of nausea washing over me as I thought about how I would soon be in charge of a whole pack. "But just so you know, I will not be leaving until we find Jared. Even if it takes months, I'm not going anywhere."

"I know," said my Dad, smiling sadly, making his way over to the front door, pulling on his shoes.

"Where do you think he is, Dad?" I asked, attempting to swallow the huge lump that had formed in my throat, my eyes starting to tear up slightly.

My Dad sighed, pulling me in for a quick hug, rubbing my back soothingly. "I don't know, but I know we'll find him."

"Do you think it has something to do with the calls?" I asked, pulling away from the hug, causing my Dad's brows to furrow.