Chapter 11

"It all started when the government wanted to rule the world" Mike dramatically said.

Choi shook his head and sighed "How did I get myself into this?"

"That is not what happened" Chen scoffed.

"It sounds better in my head" Mike defended.

"No, what sounds better is romance. You could say something like 'it all started with a forbidden love story where a spy fell in love with a civilian'"

"Like Nikita?"

"Yeah" she snapped her fingers "Something like that"

The five of us were gathered round a table with a map (that would help us in our mission) in the middle. We put Mike in charge of the mission since he's the best at mission planning. He's currently telling us what to do. Although, he was a bit distracted with story telling.

"Why are the lights off again?" I inquired from Mike.

"For special effects, duh?"

I rolled my eyes.

The room was pitch black except for the tiny white bulb that hung above us.

"Could you be any more dramatic?" I spoke.

"Admit it. It's just like the movies" he winked "Hey, we're like the power rangers. There's even five of us"

"Focus!" Choi said,

"Now, where were we?'' Mike asked.

"Star crossed love story between a spy and a civilian" Chen said.

"How about we re-write our own love story?" Mike teased.

Although, I'm sure he's serious. I'm pretty sure he likes her and deep down, I'm sure she likes him too.

"Dude. That's my sister" Choi said.

"So?"

"So? I'll fucking beat you up"

"No vex"

"Focus!" Victoria called us to order "Back to the details"

"Why in such a hurry?" I asked her "Late for your nail appointment?"

"No" she scoffed.

We all gave her that "Bitch, I know you lying" look. Victoria is always unavailable on Saturdays due to her beauty treatments.

"Fine" she confessed "It's a spa day"

We shook our heads and looked back at the map.

"Okay" Mike clasped his hands together "The whole point of the mission is to retrieve a file from a man who works for 'The Simulation' program. The file allegedly contains some vital information on The Council and a few top espionage activities of The Conversion. He's threatening to publish it unless he's paid a sum of a hundred million naira"

"That's preposterous!" I exclaimed.

"You think?"

"Instead of just retrieving the file, why don't they kill him too?" Chen asked.

"Unless you want to start a war between rival espionage agencies which can potentially affect the world order, I suggest we do as we told. They'll come after all our members and they won't stop until we're all dead. It's an eye for an eye sort of thing. This is the safest option"

"Where do we even find him?" I questioned.

This man could be anywhere.

"What's his name?" Victoria asked as she brought out her phone.

"Tolani Adewale"

"Description?"

"Short. Dark. He works undercover as a bank manager at Access Bank"

"On it"

"He could be anywhere" I reminded her.

She ignored me and continued typing away on her phone.

I scoffed. What a snob!

"The Council said he's meeting with an editor of Punch Newspaper this evening to submit the story. We need to find him as soon as possible. We have to be careful too. From what I heard, he's a skilled and experienced agent"

"Nothing we can't handle" Choi shrugged.

"You sure about that?" I muttered.

"Alright" Mike continued "Victoria and Chen, you'll be in the background looking for unusual things. You'll communicate with the rest of us through our Ear Pods"

"Got it" they chorused.

"Choi and I will be in the background too, for self-defence. We'll all split up and find him. Ada, you're the middle man. Since you're the leader, you'll be the one to confront him and possibly retrieve the documents"

"No problem" I responded.

Although, there is a problem. I'm scared for my life "The problem is the location"

"Apapa Amusement Park" Victoria chimed in.

"How do you know that?"

"I just hacked into his WhatsApp"

She said it like it was the simplest thing she's ever done.

"You what?" we shrieked.

She shrugged "No big deal. He's meeting with the editor at 3:00pm because he's going there with his family. Here's the man's picture"

She showed us the editor's picture as well as Tolani's. We looked at it and memorized it.

Mike kept explaining things to us about the mission while Victoria kept scrolling through his phone. She laughed loudly.

"Oh my gosh" she laughed "This man does not know how to text a woman. What the hell are all these stupid abbreviations?"

"That's invasion of privacy" I stated.

"Only if I get caught"

"We have to prove to the agency that we're ready to be activated" Mike told us "This is our chance. We can't mess it up. As simple as this mission may seem, it's actually going to be pretty hard to convince Tolani to release those files. I'm sure he won't go down without a fight and I'm not sure he's going to be alone. That's why we need ammunition"

He brought out a black bag and poured out all the contents on the table. It consisted of daggers, knives, guns and other weapons. We all made our selection. Chen just needed a gun since she always carries her Katana.

I took a pistol and admired it. For some reason, I smiled. What can I say? I love the thrill of missions. This one in particular feels interesting.

"You're in charge, Ada. We're just your backup" Mike told me "Shall we?"

I inserted the magazine into my firearm and rolled the clip.

"Oh yes, we shall"