Twenty-Six

"Why do you seem so sad?" San frowns since he's noticed Hongjoong has been sad all day. They just got out of work and he's walking him home.

"Huh?" He gets interrupted from his thoughts. "It's nothing." He forces a smile.

"Are you sure?"

"I'm just worried about Seonghwa." He sighs. "He's really scared of his father to the point that he does everything he asks him to do. He lets him control him and the decisions he makes, which makes me think there's a reason. It makes me think it's something really serious." He frowns. "I just don't want him to be sad."

San looks away and frowns. He's sad about what Seonghwa's going through and it also makes him sad seeing Hongjoong like this.

"He and Yeosang are moving in together after their engagement." Hongjoong sighs. "Seonghwa's so scared of his father and so is Yeosang... which makes me think they'll actually end up getting married. It makes me really sad to think I might not be able to be with Seonghwa."

"Do you like Seonghwa... a lot?"

"More than I ever thought I'd like someone." He nods. "It makes me sad that he can't even make decisions for himself."

"I'm sure everything will be okay, Hongjoong. I'm sure there will be a day when Seonghwa will leave that fear aside and stop letting his father control him."

"You really think that?" Hongjoong stops walking and turns to face San.

"Yeah, of course." He nods and smiles. "I've been his friend for years. I know him better than anyone."

But the truth is... San wasn't sure if Seonghwa would ever stop being scared of his father.

Seonghwa's father has always given him bad vibes. He's a really scary man and San hates to judge others, but he's the worst person he's met in his life.

"Why don't you try talking to Seonghwa? To ask him how he is?"

"I've tried calling him but he's had his phone turned off since yesterday." He sighs. "Which just worries me more."

"Right." San nods, remembering he tried calling Seonghwa yesterday but he had his phone turned off. "I have his house keys. Want me to get him for you?"

"Huh? But how?"

"I'll go to his house and tell him you want to talk to him."

"You'd really do that?" Hongjoong gives him a small smile. "Okay, but just tell him to meet me if he wants to. I wouldn't want to pressure him to meet me if he's not in the mood right now."

"Alright, I'll let him know." San nods and they end up getting to Hongjoong's house.

Just as they're about to say goodbye, Hongjoong sees Yeosang standing by his house.

"Yeo, what happened with Seonghwa yesterday? Is he okay?" He rushes over to him. 

"Yeah, don't worry. He's fine. He told me he'd be waiting for you at your secret spot."

"Oh, okay!" Hongjoong rushes away from them. "Bye, Yeo! Bye San!" He yells from afar as he runs to the bus stop.

"You must be Yeosang." San says once Yeosang turns to him. "I'm San." He gives him a small smile.

"Are you Hongjoong's friend?"

"Yeah." He nods. "But I also happen to be Seonghwa's best friend."

"Oh, I see." Yeosang nods. "Do you like Hongjoong?"

"What? No, why do you ask that?"

"Oh, don't lie. I was standing here and saw how you were looking at him when you two were talking." Yeosang tells him. "We both like our best friend's boyfriend, but I guess you really can't choose who to like... so you shouldn't blame yourself for your feelings."

"Okay, but are you taking your own advice?" San asks him.

"Huh?" Yeosang is taken by surprise.

"You like Seonghwa and feel guilty, don't you? You like him and are being forced to marry him, but instead of being happy about it, you feel guilty because you know he doesn't have feelings for you, don't you?"

Yeosang stares at him in shock. It's like this San guy can read his mind. "Well, of course I'm not happy about it. Seonghwa doesn't like me and he's my best friends boyfriend. Why would I be happy about ruining their relationship?"

"I heard you're Seonghwa's ex-boyfriend... Don't you ever blame Hongjoong? I mean... if you hadn't sent him on that date, maybe you could be with Seonghwa."

"No, don't say that. Like you said... I sent him on that date that day, so I should pay the consequences. I didn't think these would be the consequences, but no... I've never blamed Hongjoong. Why should I blame him for falling in love? People can't choose who to fall in love with, so blaming someone for that would be really stupid and childish."

"You seem like a good person, Yeosang." San gives him a small smile.

He had tried setting him up to see if he'd talk badly about Hongjoong, but it seems like he's a good friend.

-

"Seonghwa!" Hongjoong quickly runs to Seonghwa and wraps his arms around him from behind when he sees him. "Are you okay?" He asks and Seonghwa turns around to face him.

"Sorry I made you worry." He gives him a small smile. "I don't know if Yeosang told you already, but-"

"Yeah, I know. You're being forced to move in with him."

"Yeah..." He sighs.

"I-I'm sure you two can find a way, right? So you don't have to get married?"

Seonghwa looks down at Hongjoong and wraps his arms around him. He then cups his face and presses his lips against his as Hongjoong's taken by surprise but starts kissing him back.

Once they pull away from the kiss, Hongjoong smiles and takes Seonghwa's hand.

"I-I really like you, Hongjoong." Seonghwa presses his forehead against his as Hongjoong notices a tear roll down his cheek.

"Wh-why are you saying that all of a sudden? You're scaring me."

"Hongjoong... l-let's break up."