Chapter 12

When Maddy woke up the next day, she once again felt grouchy and sleepy

When Maddy woke up the next day, she once again felt grouchy and sleepy. Just like the last full moon, she was continuously tossing and turning in her bed. It was probably because she was still restless after yesterday's counter with the wolves. Maddy stayed in bed for some time. She was too lazy and tired to wake up.

When Maddy did finally get up and get dressed, it was already time for breakfast. Maddy quickly went to the cafeteria. She didn't want to miss breakfast. When she reached the cafeteria, she saw that there were very few people inside.

Confused, Maddy looked around, trying to figure out what was going on. According to the time in her phone, she wasn't late for breakfast but there were hardly any people left.

Maddy saw a woman hurriedly trying to finish her breakfast. She vaguely remembered seeing the woman before, but since the pack had hundred werewolves, Maddy couldn't remember much about the woman. Maddy went up to her and asked her what was going on.

The woman looked surprised that she didn't know what was happening. "The Alpha has called all the werewolves from the Amalthea pack for a meeting. The meeting starts in two minutes," she said as she got up with an empty plate.

"Shit," Maddy said as she rushed to grab some food. She wanted to attend the meeting. If she had to guess, the meeting was probably because of the rogues who had managed to get inside the headquarters. Maddy managed to grab two muffins in her two hands as she rushed to the meeting room. Thankfully, the two rooms were in the same building.

Maddy burst into the room and immediately everyone quietened. Maddy had no doubt that she looked ridiculous holding two muffins while panting like she just ran a marathon while the others were discussing war strategies and other serious matters.

"Sorry," Maddy mumbled as she started walking towards Leia who was waving towards her with a grin on her face.

But of course, Maddy's embarrassment didn't end there. As she walked towards Leia, she nearly tripped over her legs. At the last second, Maddy managed to stop herself from toppling over. Maddy sat down beside Leia with a red face.

"You made quite an entrance," Leia said with a chuckle.

"Shut up," Maddy grumbled as she started eating the first muffin.

Maddy looked around but she couldn't Sophia anywhere. She had expected Sophia to be sitting beside Xander but she was nowhere to be seen.

"Where's Sophia?" Maddy whispered to Leia.

"I'll tell you later," Leia said with a tone that was a giveaway that there was lot of information that needed to be told.

"Spill," Maddy ordered as she comfortably settled into her chair.

"Well..." Leia said as trailed off. Leia was looking at Maddy with a weird expression. Something that Maddy hadn't seen before.

"If you are worried about me getting heartbroken, you needn't bother. I am perfectly fine. Now spill."

"Sophia ran away," Leia blurted out.

"What?" Maddy whispered, shocked at hearing Leia. That was the last thing that she had been expecting to hear.

"Is it because of me?" Maddy asked worriedly. "Did she become pissed that I bombarded her special day?"

"Contrary to your belief, the world doesn't revolve around you," Leia said dryly, which made Maddy scowl.

Maddy was about to ask another question when Leia shushed her. "Listen to the meeting. We can talk later."

Maddy turned her attention to the meeting. Xander was busy arguing with his dad about something but Maddy couldn't concentrate on it. She felt like she was somehow responsible for Sophia's sudden disappearance. Sophia seemed like a sweet girl. Maddy didn't have a proper conversation with Sophia so she couldn't be sure, but the others liked her so that had to count.

"If it eases your worry, Sophia used the rogue attack as the distraction. So, you couldn't be responsible for her decision. She planned this all out before," Leia whispered before turning to face the conversation going on between the pack members.

It did help Maddy clear her conscience. If there was one thing that Maddy didn't want to be, it was a mean girl. As though the movies and books weren't enough, Maddy also had first-hand experience with one of them *cough* Katie *cough*.

Maddy paid attention to the conversations going around her for the rest of the meeting. She had been right. The meeting was called to improve the security at the borders. If the rogues could get past them once, what was stopping them from attacking the pack once again?

Xander was arguing with his dad about whether they should install cameras at the borders. While Xander wanted them to be installed all over the borders, Justin didn't think that it was very effective. What would be the use of knowing who the attackers were when the damage was already done, he argued.

"What we need to do is track this boss down," Leia said suddenly, interrupting the father-son duo. "If we don't finish them off for once and for all, he or she will keep attacking us at the most inopportune moment. Once we take down the boss, the rogues will automatically stop their attacks."

"How are we supposed to track this boss?" someone from the crowd shouted.

"What about the previous Beta?" Xander asked hopefully.

"He doesn't know anything. I tried finding out information while you were in India but he doesn't know crap. I asked him about the identity of the boss, about their next plan of attack. He is as clueless as us."

"Perhaps you are asking the wrong questions," Maddy said as she joined in on the conversation. "The boss is extremely clever. He wouldn't have told any crucial information to the Beta but at this point, any information is important. Maybe we need to take a different angle."

Justin seemed to be thinking the idea through. "What do you suggest?" he asked Maddy.

"The Beta still has to listen to your commands, right?" Maddy asked.

Justin nodded. "I haven't cast him out of the pack because I hoped he would be able to give some information."

"Then we should interrogate him and try to get information. Any information could change everything. Once we have sufficient information, we'll track this boss and take him down."

"I agree with Maddy," Leia said. "That would be our best plan of action."

There was a vote done to see what the next step would be. Obviously, there were some people who were completely against the idea, but at the end, the majority won. It was decided that the previous Beta would be interrogated once again.