Chapter 21

The matefinder seemed to be in a rather cheerful mood

The matefinder seemed to be in a rather cheerful mood. Then again, the matefinder had always been rather unpredictable. One moment she could be talking about a war that could change the world, and in the next moment she could be insisting on playing a game of jumbled letters. Maddy just nodded along to the matefinder's suggestion of a rapid-fire round. Maybe that was a clue to the boss' identity? Maddy no longer had any idea whether the matefinder was actually giving them a clue or was just pulling their leg.

"Why can't I shift?"

The matefinder started speaking really fast. Maddy understood absolutely nothing. Apparently, she took the rapid-fire round a little too seriously.

"Could you slow down?"

"Then it won't be a rapid-fire round," the matefinder said with a frown.

"We don't need to have a rapid-fire round. However, I do need to understand what you are saying."

"Fine. What your mom told about your werewolf blood is true. It is too diluted which is why you can't shift. You see, it is natural for a wolf to want dominance. A normal werewolf has two parts to their soul. The human part and the wolf part. That is the reason mates need to see each other in both the human and wolf form. It is natural for the wolf part of the soul to as dominant as the human part. This keeps a balance. That is why werewolves can shift whenever they want.

In your case, things are different. Very different, in fact. Because of the diluted werewolf blood, your human side is way more dominant than your wolf side. Since the balance isn't there, you aren't able to shift whenever you want. Your dad's wolf was less diluted than yours which is why he could shift during full moons when the wolf is more dominant than the human side. Your blood is so diluted that even the full moon isn't enough for you to shift."

"Great," Maddy grumbled. She was the unluckiest. She couldn't even shift during full moons.

"However," the matefinder started and Maddy's attention immediately diverted from self-pity to the matefinder. "There are instances when your wolf side does surface. It is when your human side willingly gives up control to the wolf side."

"Why would she, me, or whatever willingly give up control?" Maddy asked doubtfully.

The matefinder shrugged. "There could be many reasons. Remember when you were at the Valencia Hotel, trying to save me? Remember how you defeated the tooth-necklace lady, as you call her?"

Maddy nodded. "I nearly forgot about that. I suppose you are going to explain what happened?"

She remembered that all too well. The matefinder had been kidnapped and taken to the hotel. The werewolves decided to take the rogues by surprise and attack the hotel. The main problem had been the fact that there would be a lot of collateral damage if they attacked the hotel. That was why Maddy and Xander acted as a bait and drew the rogues out to an open field.

Maddy had expected all the rogues to chase after the two of them. That way it would be easy to slip into the hotel and rescue the matefinder. However, things went wrong. All the rogues hadn't deserted the hotel. There were two rogues waiting for Maddy and Xander- tooth-necklace lady and the previous Beta of the Amalthea Pack.

Tooth-necklace lady and the Beta attacked Xander and Maddy who let their guards down. Xander managed to get the Beta to stop attacking because of his connection to the pack. On seeing that the Beta wasn't able to help, tooth-necklace lashed out and nearly killed Maddy. Maddy blacked out at that point of time, and when she did come to conscious, she saw that she had somehow beaten up the tooth-necklace lady. Till date, Maddy didn't know how she had managed to do that.

"Hold up, hold up," Xander said. "Am I missing out on something? What is there to explain about the fact that Maddy beat the crap out of Elvira?"

"Actually, I myself, have no idea what I did. Everything went black and when I could see again, I saw that the tooth-necklace lady was fallen down in front of me," Maddy replied with a sheepish smile.

The matefinder cleared her throat. "Yes. That is one instance where your human side willingly gave up control. You were about to die and since your wolf side is faster and stronger, your human side gave up a little control to keep you alive. Not complete control, just a little, which was why you didn't shift but your wolf was in control at that time. If anyone did look at you closely that moment, they would have seen that your eyes were a darker shade of hazel."

Maddy stayed quiet for a minute trying to process all the information. "Fantastic! The only way my wolf side gets in control is when I almost die!"

"Why can't she remember what she does when her wolf is in control?" Xander asked. "I can remember everything crystal clear and so can any other werewolf."

The matefinder thought about it for a second. "I am actually not sure about it. I think it is because her wolf and human side are continuously fighting for dominance."

"How can you not know something?" Maddy asked with shock.

The matefinder smiled. "Contrary to what you think, I know absolutely nothing. I see visions of the future, and in the vision, I see myself saying the dialogues which is why I repeat the dialogues."

Maddy's eyebrows hitched up. "Wow. That is so cool."

"Only you would find that cool and not freaky," Xander commented as he reopened the book that Maddy had given him and started reading it.

The matefinder put her sunglasses on once again, and much to Maddy's annoyance, her hat too. Maddy spent the rest of the time in the flight reading a Wattpad novel about, well, werewolves, on her phone while trying to keep her eyes safe from the matefinder's damn hat.