Chapter 44

It was in the middle of the night that Maddy figured out what had been nagging her for the past two days

It was in the middle of the night that Maddy figured out what had been nagging her for the past two days. She sat up all of a sudden. She had been sleeping when it suddenly hit her. It took her some time to realize why she had gotten up but when she did, she blindly thrust her hands out trying to find the switch to turn on the light. Once the room was lighted, Maddy took grabbed hold of a pencil and wrote it down on a piece of paper.

She was too sleepy to actually process the information so she kept that information written down for the morning so that she could deal with that information when she wasn't half-asleep.

The next morning, Maddy got up and hurriedly checked around herself for the piece of paper. She wasn't even sure if she had actually gotten an idea or if it was just a dream. Life be like that sometimes. When she caught sight of the paper on top of her bedside table, she grabbed hold of it and read it out loud.

"Bruce said tooth-necklace lady's phone. How?"

It took some time for awake-Maddy to understand sleep-addled-Maddy, but when she did, she slammed her hand on the table top. "That's it!"

Maddy hurriedly got ready and rushed to the Alpha's house. She knocked on the door and waited impatiently for the Alpha.

"Jesus, why on earth are you awake so early?"

Maddy's eyes widened as she caught sight of Xander. You know what they say about morning voices? Maddy could finally see what they were talking about. Maddy smiled sheepishly at Xander as she took him in. He looked like he had quite literally rolled out of bed. He was in shorts, something Maddy had never seen him in and his t-shirt was completely rumpled. His hair was sticking out in different directions, but Xander managed to rock that look, which was totally unfair. Maddy looked like a just-woken-up-Anna from the movie Frozen in the morning while Xander got to look like the other Disney princesses who looked gorgeous at all times. Totally unfair.

"Uh... Is your dad there?" Maddy managed to squeak out.

"Yeah," Xander said as he opened the door wider. "He's in his office. Don't wake me up unless someone is dying in which case you can ask dad on what to do."

"You seem cheerful," Maddy commented as she stepped inside.

"I'd like to see you being Mr. Cheerful when you are woken up by a knock before the sun has even come up!"

"It's nine in the morning."

"My point. It's too early."

"You can take your grouchy self and go back to sleep."

Maddy walked inside and headed for the office. Justin always seemed to be in his office. Did he even sleep there? Probably not considering the fact that there was hardly any place to sit itself, forget actually laying down. As she knocked on the door, she looked at the rest of the house. The entire house was extremely tidy, courtesy of Diana, which was a complete contrast to Justin's office. The interior of the house was mostly white with brown wooden furniture. Simplistic but beautiful.

Justin opened the door and looked surprised on seeing Maddy.

"Bruce is the boss and I have proof."

Justin frowned, but let Maddy in. Maddy had given Justin a day to digest the fact that his best friend was a supervillain but she couldn't give him more time. They need to catch Bruce fast, before he could cause any more damage. It would also be of a lot of help if Justin was able to give them some information about Bruce.

"So, Bruce was the one who suggested that we track Elvira's phone to see where she was when she called Mack, right?" Maddy asked once she sat down on a chair.

Justin nodded and Maddy continued, "But Bruce couldn't possibly know that we were able to track Elvira because of the phone call. Most of the pack members of the Amalthea Pack itself don't know about the tracked phone call and I'm pretty sure that the rogues who supposedly attacked the Megaclite Pack wouldn't go around announcing that we had listened in on Elvira's conversation with Mack. Then how did Bruce come to know?"

Justin didn't say anything. He just sighed and slumped in his chair. "I—I don't know what to say."

Maddy smiled sympathetically. "If Mack is correct, Bruce might not be completely bad. He has a reason for doing this. If you could talk to him, maybe he will listen to you."

Justin nodded. "I'll see what we can do."

Maddy left the Alpha alone. She went back to her room and logged into her Wattpad account. It had been ages since she had last updated it. She was pretty sure that all her readers had gotten bored and had ditched her book. Due to the huge break from writing her story, Maddy had even forgotten chunks of her original plotline. She was not the type of writer who had everything planned out beforehand, but she did have a general idea of how the story was supposed to flow. She had deviated from her original plotline so much that it was no longer the same story but nevertheless, Maddy required at least some basic structure to continue.

For the next fifteen minutes, Maddy spent her time trying to get her story back on track. She was just about to start writing the actual story when she heard someone enter her house. Maddy had long ago given up trying to lock her door. There was always someone coming in or going out and it was just tiresome to unlock her door again and again.

Jeremy entered her room and knocked on her room's door. Maddy turned around to face Jeremy. He was literally the only who knocked on her door out of politeness. The others just blasted inside.

"The Alpha has decided to call the matefinder to know what to do next."

"Really?" Maddy asked. The matefinder usually just turned up at unusual times. "You can go ahead. I'm coming in two minutes."