Chapter 36

"Who has been here?" tooth-necklace lady asked loudly

"I don't know," Mack replied, but Maddy could clearly hear the unease in his voice.

Maddy took out her dagger from the holster and got ready. They would need to be prepared for anything.

"They still might be in here. Search the room."

Diana and Maddy moved towards the trapdoor. The rogues might take some time to find them but Alexa and Leia would definitely be caught in a few minutes.

"Slowly open the trapdoor," Diana instructed. "I will jump out first. You follow me."

Maddy slowly pulled the door towards the inside, careful not to make any sound. The sound wasn't completely unavoidable, but the rogues were too busy searching to care about a small creak.

"There!" one of the rogues shouted which was followed by a loud thump.

Maddy pulled the door with all the force she could muster. There was no point in trying to remain hidden anymore. Maddy watched as Diana jumped down without any hesitation. Maddy peered down to see if Diana was fine. Diana had timed her jump in such a way that there was a rogue directly below her when she jumped and that rogue cushioned her fall. Diana got up and gestured to Maddy to jump through.

The rogue that Diana had fallen on growled and got up when Maddy jumped. Once again, the rogue went tumbling down, cushioning Maddy's fall. It would have been comical if not for the imminent danger Maddy was facing. This time he didn't get up. Two people falling on him was enough to knock him out.

Maddy turned around and saw that Leia, Alexa, and Diana were busy fending off rogues. There were about ten rogues in the room. They were vastly outnumbered.

The moment tooth-necklace lady's eyes landed on Maddy, they widened. "You," she snarled and ran towards Maddy.

Maddy took two steps back on seeing the madness in tooth-necklace lady's eyes. She looked like she wanted to kill Maddy just so she could take her teeth and add it to her necklace. Maddy liked having her teeth where they belonged—in her mouth—so she ran away from tooth-necklace lady. The room was way too congested for Maddy to fight tooth-necklace lady so she ran towards the door. As though she was fire and the rogues were the flies, all the rogues started moving towards the door the moment Maddy moved towards the door, ignoring Leia, Alexa, and Diana. Clearly, they were still obsessed with catching her.

Maddy decided to take care of tooth-necklace lady first. Perhaps, if she knocked out of the leader, the others would leave her alone. Now that Mack had told Maddy about the rogues' plight, Maddy was determined not to kill anyone.

Tooth-necklace lady leapt at Maddy, shifting halfway through the jump. The shift had been so sudden that Maddy didn't have time to jump out of the wolf's way. Maddy fell backwards with the weight of the wolf. Tooth-necklace lady went straight for Maddy's neck. Maddy too, grabbed hold of tooth-necklace lady's neck with her left hand and pushed her away.

"We come in peace," Maddy said. "Just want to talk to your boss."

The black growled, and using its paw, scratched Maddy's stomach. Fiery hot pain erupted in Maddy's stomach. Maddy ignored the pain. If tooth-necklace lady wouldn't willingly stop attacking, Maddy would have to force her to stop. Maddy still had her dagger clutched in her right hand. She hadn't used it before to make sure that she didn't hurt any rogue but now she didn't hesitate. She thrust it forward and stabbed tooth-necklace lady's paw. The dagger got stuck in the floorboard, pining tooth-necklace's paw. Maddy made it a point not to see the injury she had caused.

Tooth-necklace lady shifted back to her human form to take out the dagger with her hands. That was what Maddy had been waiting for. Maddy immediately hit tooth-necklace lady in the chin once she had removed the dagger and once more in the nose. That was enough to knock her out. For some time at least. Maddy was sure that in some time she would be back to her crazy self.

Another rogue came at her the moment she finished dealing with tooth-necklace lady. The wolf strode forward, tracking her every moment. Maddy kept moving backward until she hit her back to something. She turned and saw it was the table. The moment Maddy saw the water bottle, she had an idea. She grabbed hold of the bottle and turned towards the wolf. The wolf was trying to figure out why she took the bottle.

After a minute of waiting, it lost its patience and opened its jaws to bite Maddy. Maddy thrust the bottle into the wolf's mouth. It was steel bottle so it didn't bend and got stuck in the wolf's mouth. The wolf whimpered and tried to remove the bottle but it couldn't because in the wolf form, it didn't have hands. He tried to spit it out but couldn't either

Maddy waited for some time to let the wolf figure out that the only way to remove it was to shift back. The main problem that Maddy faced when fighting with a werewolf was the fact that she didn't know how to fight a wolf. Nadine taught her how to defeat human but hadn't come to the wolf part yet as that was more difficult. The only way Maddy could defeat a werewolf in wolf form was to force the said wolf to shift back.

The moment the rogue shifted back, Maddy hit him in the head repeatedly until the man hit the ground. The man was butt naked so Maddy had to avert gaze. Instead, she looked at how the others were managing themselves.

While Maddy had been busy with tooth-necklace lady, Diana had managed to knock one rogue out and was currently taking care of another one. She was in her human form so that she caused less damage to the rogues. Leia was repeatedly punching a rogue in the head. Meanwhile, Alexa was still dangling from the railings with one hand.

Maddy watched as a rogue ran towards Alexa. The rogue was in human form as she wouldn't be able to reach Alexa's height in wolf form. The rogue had her hand outstretched to pull Alexa down but Alexa grabbed hold of the rogue and pulled her up. The next thing Maddy knew, Alexa had swung using her momentum and smashed the rogue's face against the wall. The rogue fell down unconscious.

Alexa let go of the railing and jumped down. When she saw that Maddy was looking at her, she grinned. "I think I might have been a monkey in my previous life. I felt like I was in my zone while I was hanging."

Maddy snorted. "I still don't know how you manage to surprise me by saying something completely unexpected. I should be used to it by now."

In less than a minute, all the rogues were down.

"Well, what do we do now?" Leia asked. "I am not sure if they will agree to a peace treaty now."

"No shit, Sherlock."