Chapter 14

When Xander came knocking at her door to lead her to where the previous Beta was being kept, Maddy was already ready and waiting

When Xander came knocking at her door to lead her to where the previous Beta was being kept, Maddy was already ready and waiting. She just had to grab the notebook where she had written down all the questions along with a pen just in case, she suddenly got a question that she needed to note down.

When Xander saw the notebook that Maddy was clutching, he raised an eyebrow with amusement. "Did you seriously write the questions you want to ask down on a notebook?"

Maddy huffed. "Unlike you, I want to actually do things properly."

"You are such a nerd," Xander informed her as he started walking.

"Am not," Maddy shouted as she hurried to catch up with him.

"You totally are. You love to read in your free time, you want to do everything perfectly, and you are a teacher's pet. If that doesn't scream nerd, I don't know what does."

"I am so not a teacher's pet," Maddy grumbled.

"You are trying so hard to suck up to my dad right now," Xander pointed out as he watched Maddy with amusement.

"Fine. So maybe I am a nerd, but that isn't a bad thing!"

Xander shrugged. "I never said it was. You just assumed that it was a bad thing."

"Jerk," Maddy muttered as she started walking faster to make it obvious that she was angry.

Maddy had expected Xander to catch up with her easily because of his advantage as a werewolf but instead he seemed to slow down. Maddy didn't know why he stopped, but she didn't wait for him. It was only when she had walked for a few minutes that Maddy realized that she didn't know where she was going. Xander was supposed to lead her to where the Beta was being kept.

When Maddy turned back, she saw that Xander was watching her. "Go ahead. Keep on moving," Xander hollered as he made no effort to hold back his laugh.

Grumbling about stupid werewolves, Maddy went back to where Xander was standing. "Lead the way," she huffed.

Xander chuckled and started walking in the direction opposite to where Maddy had been walking. They walked until they reached the borders of the headquarters. Xander stopped in front of a building that Maddy had never seen. From there, you could see the borders of the headquarters and the guards patrolling around.

"Isn't it unwise to put prisoners at the literal edge of the borders? If the rogues did break in, this is one of the first building that they will come across. They can break in and free the prisoners."

"I'd like to see them try," Xander said. "This is one of the only buildings which uses advanced technologies to monitor who enters the building. We couldn't keep prisoners among the pack members' houses. If the prisoner did escape, he or she could cause a lot of harm to our pack members. Safety always comes first. Hence, it is placed as near to the borders as possible."

Xander approached the door of the building. As he touched the handle of the door, the handle glowed a fluorescent shade of blue and then some laser kind of thing scanned Xander's hand. A second later, there was a ding sound emitted from the door and then the door opened.

Maddy just stood there for a few seconds with her jaw dropped. "What sort of technology was that? I didn't even know these kinds of things existed! It looked it came straight from a movie. A movie like Iron Man or Mission Impossible."

"There is more," Xander said with a grin as they walked through the door.

"You weren't kidding when you said that werewolves were rich," Maddy muttered as she followed him as she looked around her surroundings. At first, all that Maddy could see was the color black.

All of a sudden, a mechanical voice spoke from behind Maddy, causing her to jump. "Name?"

"Xander Dexter," Xander said loudly.

There was a sound of what Maddy could only describe as the sound you hear when someone answers wrong in some game show. Maddy whirled to where she assumed Xander was. She couldn't see him because it was dark in there.

"What is happening?" Maddy asked.

"Alexa is happening," Xander growled. "Repeat," he shouted to the mechanical voice.

"Name?" the voice asked once again.

"Alexa is the best," Xander said to the machine.

There was a familiar ding and then the room was flooded with light. Maddy used her hands to cover her eyes as she got used to the light. Maddy looked around the room. Ironically, now everything was white in color. The walls were made of marble and were so white and smooth that Maddy could practically see her reflection. There was no furniture in the room except one powerful tube light. The only thing that wasn't white was an elevator with grey colored doors.

"What was that about?" Maddy asked as she turned to Xander.

"This was supposed to be a voice recognition software. You say your name and then it matches it with your voice. However, Alexa likes to mess with it."

"Alexa can code?" Maddy asked surprised.

"No. Dad specifically asked for the code to be user friendly. Hence, Alexa's meddling."

Xander walked to the elevator and pressed the button to call it. After two seconds, the elevator door opened and Maddy got on it along with Xander. Xander pressed the button to the second floor and in less than two minutes, the elevator opened again.

As Maddy stepped out, she saw that Justin was already present there. He was standing in front of what looked like a literal prison. There were bars of steel and behind it was the previous Beta of the Amalthea pack. Maddy saw that there were four more similar prisons but they seemed to be empty.

"We don't usually have prisoners but we have prisons just in case," Xander explained.

Maddy and Xander walked towards the prison where the previous Beta was being kept.

Justin nodded towards the two of them and said, "You can start asking him questions now." 

"