13

Jude suggested I come to him when I'm at the hotel. He has a room to himself, so I said yes.

When we arrive back at the hotel by taxi, the team bus is already there. It's already 12:30 a.m. and I'm really tired, but I don't want to tell Jude that I'm not coming after all.

I go up to our room with Denise. She doesn't have to know about it. I take the room card to my room, wish her a good night and disappear into the doorway.

I put on my sweatpants again. Whoever invented them. I could marry him or her.

Shortly afterwards, I leave my room as quietly as I can. I really hope Denise didn't hear anything.

753. This should be his room. I knock once. Maybe he won't open the door and I can go back.

But I've rejoiced too soon. The door opens and Jude is standing in front of me, looking at me with a slight smile on his face.

"Come in," he says as he holds the door open for me and I walk past him. Wow. His room is at least twice as big as mine.

I look around a bit until Jude comes to stand next to me.

"Shall we sit outside?" he asks me and I nod. He opens the balcony door and his balcony is also at least 3 times as big as mine. There is a huge lounge couch and a matching armchair and in the middle a small, glass storage table. Jude sits down on the armchair and I on the couch. He puts his feet up on the little table, so I just do that now.

For a few minutes we both just sit there in silence and look out over the whole city from the balcony. His room is on the 7th floor, so you can see almost everything.

"You still wanted to explain to me why you said to the Secruity guy that you were my girlfriend." I had hoped he had forgotten that. "Oh, yeah, that. Are you sure you want to hear it? It's not that important and...", I try to talk my way out of it but he interrupts me, "No. Tell me.", he says as he looks me intensely in the eyes.

I explain everything and he has to laugh. "I always knew my mother was a bit weird." And now I have to laugh a little too. "Hey, don't talk about your mother like that. She's one of the nicest people I've ever met. She really helped me," I say as I knead my fingers.

No, no, no.

What did I just say? I didn't want him to know, did I?

He looks at me in confusion. "What did she help you with?" he asks me tensely. "Nothing. I just said that," I answer him, all the while looking at my hands and fingers. I don't want him to maybe see that I'm lying. He just has to believe me.

"Are you cold?" he asks me suddenly. I fold my arms in front of my chest to warm myself a little. He must have noticed that. "Yes a little," I say and he stands up and disappears inside.

A little later he comes back out with a jacket and a blanket. "Here. Put these on." he says and hands me his track jacket. I put it on over my jumper, but leave it open.