20

"I never wanted you to leave."

His words hit me straight in the heart. They repeat in my head day and night.

Were the others right and did he really want more than friendship?

But how could I not notice that? And why did he already have someone else?

Since he told me, I've tried to talk to him a few times but he doesn't want to. He turns away from me and ignores me.

Just then there is a knock at the door. My mother comes in. "Don't you want to come upstairs for a while? Emma asked what's wrong with you," she says as she sits down next to me on the bed.

I'm not surprised that Emma asked. The last few days she's been so nice somehow. Well, really nice and not fake.

"Yes, I think I'll be right there," I say and smile at her. I quickly put on my swimsuit and then finally go upstairs as well.

They are all sitting outside at the big table playing a game.

"Why don't you join us? We're playing a game and the old ones are about to go ashore anyway," Jobe says as the three parents stand up and assure me with a smile that I should sit down.

"So the game goes like this. There are two teams. And on these cards there is always a term that you have to explain to your team member without saying the words that are on the card. Your team member then has to guess that word. You have one minute. When the first word is guessed, you take the next one and explain it further," Emma explains to me.

I just nod understandably. "Okay and how do we do the teams?", I then ask.

Emma and Jobe look at each other briefly from the side. "I'm in a team with Emma today," he finally says.

He knows very well that Jude doesn't talk to me. How are we supposed to play in a team together then?

"Okay, we'll start," Emma says.

Jobe guesses 3 terms that she explained and now it's our turn.

Jude takes the first card. That means I have to guess.

When the minute is finally up, I haven't guessed a single word.

"Why didn't you try harder? We don't have a point now because of you," he says while looking at the water.

"Excuse me? What do you mean "I should have tried harder"? Maybe you could have expressed yourself better, then I would have known what you meant," I say, a bit angry.

He just gives me a stupid look and turns away from me again.

After we have played a few more rounds, the others already have a total of 9 points and we still have 0.

Now it's our turn again and it's my turn to explain.

I draw the first card and the word is 'love'. Great. How am I supposed to explain that, please.

"Um... well. Some people are lucky and find it, some people are not lucky and don't find it. And then there are the people who have found it but don't realise it until it's too late." He looks at me. Should I explain further?

"It can hurt a lot, especially when it doesn't seem to matter to the other person." "Love," Jude interrupts me.

I just nod a little sadly and take the next card, but time is up.