42

Today is Friday and Denise's birthday party. I would have really loved to go, but my fashion show and the long journey prevent it.

I arrived here in Milan yesterday and now I'm being made up by make-up artists.

I'm a bit nervous because I haven't walked on a catwalk too often yet.

"Leya, here you are," my manager says out of breath as he comes rushing in my direction.When he reaches me, he holds on to my chair for a moment to get his breathing back under control.

"What happened?" I ask him a little anxiously. I hope nothing bad has happened.

"There's great news," he says and then pauses again for a little longer.

"Well... The model who was supposed to open the show has just twisted her foot during rehearsal. She can't walk anymore and is on her way to the hospital. The designer told me to please tell you that you are going to open the show now and be ready in 30 minutes because that's when it starts. He said he has faith in you and believes you can do it without practicing once," he says with great enthusiasm.

I am just silent for a few seconds, trying to process all the information I have just received.

I'm supposed to open the show? Without practising once before?

"I don't know if I should do that," I answer him and immediately I see the confusion in his eyes."Of course you should do it. This is your chance to become one of the biggest models. It would be stupid not to do it," he says again.

"Yeah. You're probably right," I reply, looking nervously at my hands.

"Don't worry Leya. You can do it. I believe in you and so does everyone else."

I just nod and concentrate on kneading my hands again.

Twenty-five minutes later, I'm standing behind the process, dressed, waiting for the sign to go out.

My breathing has become more and more irregular by now and I am really nervous.

"It's time. Here we go," says the assistant behind the entrance.

I take another deep breath and then finally go out.

"Omg. Wow. Leya, I'm speechless. I am thrilled. You were fatastic and that white long dress. You look like an angel in that," my manager says excitedly.

I like the dress too. It's long, elegant and bright white and has a slit so that one leg peeks out when you walk. It is really beautiful.

After the show is over and all the guests have left, Lukas, my manager, comes to me again.

"I have a surprise. You've been texting me for the last few weeks that you really want to go to someone's birthday party in Dortmund. There's a taxi waiting outside to take you straight to the airport. The flight leaves in an hour, so hurry."