48

"Y'all ready for dinner?", Mark asks after we sat down in the living room.

"We prepare the food and then I'll come and get you", Denise says, smiles and leaves us three alone in  here.

I look at the Christmas tree in front me. It looks really pretty with all these withe and gold balls.

"What are you thinking about?", Jude asks suddenly and I turn to the side to face him.

"Oh nothing. I just thought that's a pretty tree", I say and he nods.

"We can eat now", Denise says when she comes into the room again.

"I have to tell you something", Jude says after we sat down a few seconds ago.

"I'll leave Dortmund in summer after this season", he says a bit afraid of what they'll say.

I squeeze his hand once under the table.

There is still silence at the table. It think this news probably came as a surprise to everyone.

"Well, you know that whatever you do we are a family and we'll support you in everything", Denise says and smiles at his son.

"Thanks Mom", Jude says.

"Okay let's eat then", she says smiling again.

I love how Denise smiles at every little thing and how happy she always is.

Mark hands Jobe the potatoes, he hands them to Jude... and then we finally start eating.

"And that's for you from all of us", Jude says and gives me my present.

I bought him a watch but I already gave my presents to them.

"What's in it?", I ask him and look at it once. It is neither small or large.

"You have to open it then you'll see what it is", he says.

I open it slowly. It makes me nervous that 8 eyes are watching me right now.

"You bought me a fucking car?", I ask shocked.

Why did they do this? This is much too expensive.

"I'm sorry but that's too expensive I cannot accept this. What did I ever do to deserve this?", I say and look at the key.

"You make our son happy and for that alone you should deserve everything in this world", Mark says and smiles.

I love this family.

"Thank you", I say again and then hug each of them.

We sit together for another two hours until I get tired. I yawn once and look at the clock. Already 11pm.

"Are you tired?", Jude suddenly whispers from next to me.

"Yes", I say.

"Then let's go to bed", he whispers again.

Jobe has already gone to bed because he already has another game tomorrow.

"I feel bad that you gave me such an expensive gift", I say when we walk up the stairs.

"You don't have to feel bad, really", he says.

He gives me a kiss on my right cheek before he goes in his room.

I go into my room too, but just to change clothes.

As soon as I've changed I go back in his room and lie down in his bed.

"I haven't had such a nice Christmas in a long time. Thank you for that.", I say looking in his eyes.

"You're welcome", he says and smiles at me.

We lie like that for about 3 minutes until my eyes get more and more heavy until I fall asleep.

When I wake up again it's only 4am.

I have to pee.

So I stand up and go to the bathroom.

After I finished I walk past the window. It's all white. It's snowing. How didn't I notice this before.

I jump excitedly on the bed.

"Jude wake up come on. It's snowing", I say.

"What time is it?", he asks with his sleepy voice.

"4 am", I answer looking outside again.

He sits up now so he can look at me.

"You are waking me up at 4 am because it's snowing?", he asks seriously.

"Yes", I answer him happy.

He smiles and just shakes his head.

"Let's go outside", I say, stand up and take his hands so I can pull him off the bed.

"Chill. I'm already coming", he says going to his closet. He puts on a hoodie because he is only wearing a T-shirt.

He puts something else in his pocket but never mind. I want to go outside now.

"Be quiet", he says when we walk down the stairs.

I nod and follow him in the hallway.

"Let's go through the garden", he says taking my hand to pull me with him after we have put on our shoes.

We go onto the street because there is light.

"It's so pretty", I say.

I put my head back and let the cold snowflakes fall on my face.

Just at that moment, Jude throws a giant snowball right in my face.

"You asshole", I say and throw one back.

I'm about to make another snowball, but I notice that Jude is standing there, looking at me and looking like he's just been struck by a bolt of inspiration.

"You okay? You look like you..." I'm about to say but I get interrupted by him.

"I love you", he says. His expression as serious as before.

There is silence.

I love him too and he knows that. I wish I could say it right now but no words come out of my mouth.

He comes a bit closer now because we are still standing 10 metres apart.

He takes a deep breath.

"But I don't want you to be my girlfriend", he says and his face still serious.

Ouch. I look down at the ground.

"No no. I don't mean it like that. I don't want you to be my girlfriend, I want you to be my wife. I know that I will marry you one day anyway, because you are the only woman in the world that I will ever love. I bought this ring the day before you went back to London. Four years ago. I knew then that it would always be you and since then I've carried that ring around with me almost all the time, waiting for the right moment to come", he says, takes this thing out of his jumper that he put in earlier and kneels down in front of me.

"Will you marry me?", he asks a bit nervous.

"Yes", I say and nod.

Is this real? Or do I wake up right away and none of this has happened?

He takes my hand and puts the ring on me.

He stands up and kisses me.

"I love you too", I say and smile at him.