Going It Alone

Ana laid awake in bed, staring up at the wooden ceiling. No matter how far away from civilisation Melina's cottage was, someone would find Ana and they could hurt her family too in the process. Wether that was Project Enlightenment or S.H.I.E.L.D at this point wasn't clear. 

The girl rose from the bed and walked over to the wardrobe. On the top shelf was a black duffle bag which she bought down to her level. A thick layer of dust encased the surface and with a large puff of air, it scattered across the room. Ana opened the bag up and shook out some neglected clothes. She pulled out various items from the wardrobe - holding them up against her body to check that they were the correct size - before folding them and placing them inside the duffle.

Then she quietly stepped out of her room towards the kitchen, taking a few snacks for the road. Her movements had to be silent as not to wake one of the three assassins in the house. Once Ana had decided that she had everything she could possibly need, she grabbed a black leather jacket from the coat hanger. She put it on, noticing how it was slightly small and walked carefully out of the house. She pressed the door closed with a small click and set off down the dirt track.

It was pitch black outside so the girl flicked the torch on that she had in hand and swung her bag over her left shoulder. The track meandered through fields and over a hill before there was any signs of life. The stars shined in clusters but Ana followed the one that was on its own, apart from the groups of others. 

A small Russian village came into view; there was a few houses scattered around and a convenience store in the centre. The town was deserted but the shop remained open. The light that glared from the neon sign guided Ana through the door. A bell rung which startled the man laying against the counter. 

"извини, что разбудил тебя." Ana apologised. (Sorry to wake you.)

The man nodded and Ana glanced around the shop, looking for supplies. Off the shelves, the girl grabbed a few cans of beans and a small packet of rice. She also got herself a toothbrush, a map and a medical kit. Ana walked up to the counter and laid out her items. A newspaper on the surface caught her eye.

"Я тоже возьму один из них." she pointed to the paper. (I'll take one of those too.)

The man nodded and placed everything into a plastic bag, "Это будет 11 рублей." (That will be 11 rubles.)

Ana pulled out a bit of cash she had swiped from under the canned prunes in Melina's cupboard, just like it always was when she was a kid. The girl placed it down on the counter and took her bag. The bell chimed on her way out and Ana walked to the outskirts of the town. She laid the map out on the tarmac just as the sun was threatening to rise. Ideally, Ana needed to head somewhere secluded and where S.H.I.E.L.D had no jurisdiction. A motorbike leant up against the side of the store caught her glance. 

The girl stuffed her new supplies into the duffle bag and walked over to the bike. She pulled a small knife from her pocket and prised off the ignition cap. A range of coloured wires stuck out; Ana cut the red and yellow wires. Then she stripped back the plastic coating a bit to reveal the copper and twisted the two ends together. She turned the handle and the engine roared out. Ana moved the bag so the strap was laid across her body and put the knife safely in her boot. The girl flung her leg over the seat and pushed the bike away. Dirt sprang up in a cloud behind the girl as she rode, leaving the sun behind her. 

------------------------------------------

Natasha sat the jet down on the flowering field. She slammed the door behind her and strutted off towards the cabin in the distance. The woman headed up the steps and opened the door abruptly. Natasha marched into the room where Melina, Alexei and Yelena were all sat around the table, eating. 

She sighed and crossed her arms over her torso, "Where is she then?"

"We don't know." Yelena shrugged. 

Natasha sat down at the table opposite Melina, "C'mon, just tell me."

"No really. We don't know. She left the night we arrived her. Took a bag of clothes and some money. It's been three days since then." Melina said and plated up Natasha some food.

Nat pushed away the plate, "I'm not hungry."

Melina pushed it back, "Eat a little, Natasha."

"Why did you have to help her escape?" Natasha raised her voice.

Alexei chuckled, "Were you really just going to leave her in there?" 

"She almost killed Tony!" Natasha spoke flabbergasted. 

Yelena butted in, "So?"

"So? She can't just go around trying to kill everyone. Imagine how many people she's killed in three days. She a danger." Natasha rolled her eyes.

Yelena gave a sarcastic laugh, "You really don't know anything do you?"

"That's mean." Nat muttered.

"Ana never wanted to kill anyone, she was indoctrinated to longer than you or me. She only tried to kill Stark because what he did to her was inhumane. I would've killed him if I were in her shoes." Yelena explained.

Natasha shook her head, "That doesn't excuse the fact she's a killer."

"Oh and you're not?" Yelena laughed.

Natasha rolled her eyes, "I'm not saying that-"

"You're just saying that because you're an Avenger, you are better then her- or any of us in fact." Yelena got up from the table and walked into the kitchen. 

There was a moment of delayed silence. 

Natasha rose from her seat, "Well I'm going to find my sister. Let me know if you want to help. Don't worry, I got S.H.I.E.L.D off your backs. I just told them Ana was using mind-control on you."

And with that the redhead left the house to return to the jet.