New Recruit

Footsteps pattered on the wooden floor as the door creaked shut. The creature jumped up on the leather couch as the sound of items being cast across the room could be heard from the hallway. 

Ana walked into the living room to see the dog stretched out. She shook her head and smiled.

"C'mon, Arnold. Let's get you washed before you put mud everywhere." Ana spoke.

The dog ran through to the bathroom and Ana ran the water, checking the temperature every few minutes. When there was enough in the tub, she picked up her dog and placed him inside. He sat down obediently and waited for Ana to get the soap. She lathered his fur in gentle circles and cleaned all the mud off his paws from their walk. 

Once the water had turned brown, Ana placed a towel down on the floor and picked Arnold up from the tub. She tried to dry him as quick as she could, but the dog shook violently, splattering water into every corner of the room. Ana stood drenched in muddy water as Arnold trotted off to his bed. 

The girl grabbed a clean towel from the rack and began drying herself off. She dried the walls until they were spotless and collected all the dirty towels in her arms. Ana left the bathroom and headed to the kitchen. She opened up the washing machine before flinging everything inside. 

All of a sudden a presence came over her. She paused momentarily before shutting her eyes. Ana used her powers; a man was sitting in her armchair. She opened her eyes and smiled.

"You know, it's not a good idea to sneak up on a wanted criminal." she spoke and shut the machine.

"I like to take my chances." the man said.

Ana turned around to see the man reading one of the books she had left on the side table. She walked over to sit on the couch opposite him and he looked up.

He shut the book and held the cover towards the girl, "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Good book." 

"I'm catching up on everything I've missed." Ana said.

He leaned forward, "'Everyone has an good side and an evil side.' Do you believe that?" 

"I think that people have the capacity for both but ultimately the decision is their own to which side they choose to unleash." she told the man. 

The man looked her dead in the eye, "And which of your sides has been unleashed, Ana?"

Ana leaned forward to match him, "What are you here for, Agent Fury?"

Nick sat back and crossed his legs, "Two days ago, The Asgardians declared war upon Earth. Thor was killed."

Ana nodded, "I know. I heard it on the news."

"The Avengers are recruiting you to help them in this fight." Fury said in his awe-inspiring voice.

Ana looked at him, seriousness painted across his face. They were desperate. 

"No." 

Fury got up, "I thought you might say that."

He headed for the door but stopped in the living room doorway. 

With his back turned to the girl, he said, "There are 15 S.H.I.E.L.D agents surrounding the perimeter of this building. Either you come quietly, or you come in handcuffs." 

"You can't expect me to just join them after they were all out for my blood. My own sister took Stark's side over mine." Ana scoffed.

Nick looked at her and nodded, "Look, if you help here then I can try and sort something out. You can continue your happy little life here but only if you help them."

Ana rolled her eyes and stood up, "Fine. Let me go change my clothes and grab a bag. Your welcome to anything in the fridge while you wait."

-------------------------

Ana slammed a duffle bag down on the floor.

"Are you drinking my last bottle of iced tea?" Ana asked, annoyed.

Nick span around with the glass in his hand, "You said I could have anything in the fridge!" 

"Yeah, out of courtesy. You weren't actually supposed to take anything." Ana rolled her eyes and got Arnold's lead from the peg.

The dog trotted over to her and Ana attached it to his collar. She picked up the duffle and slung it over her body.

"Ready to go?" Fury asked.

Ana nodded, "Sure."

They both got in the back of the blacked out armoured vehicle, accompanied by two soldiers. Nick banged on the roof and the car began to move. 

Arnold laid down at Ana's feet as she took of the bag and put it on the bench beside her. Nick pulled a phone from his pocket and tapped on the screen. 

"Ana, this is agent Ramirez and agent Hill." Fury said still looking at his phone. 

Ana smiled and waved awkwardly at both of them but Hill gave her a angry glare. 

The girl scoffed, "Someone's happy."

Nick put his phone back into his leather coat and recognised the situation. 

He cleared his throat, "Ana, Hill is pissed at you because you were helping the people who kidnapped her 3 years ago." 

The girl looked down guiltily before saying, "I'm sorry, Hill. I hope you weren't that badly injured. I was kinda under mind-control back then."

Maria looked up at the girl who clearly felt bad about the situation, "It's okay. I forgive you." 

Hearing this made Ana beam from ear to ear. Fury looked upon this with a sense of pride.

"Your dog's cute." Maria said, pointing to the girl's feet.

Ana nodded, "Yeah, he's the best. I found him laying outside in the rain last year and I just took him in. I think we needed each other."

The van was overcome with silence as everyone either looked at the dog or the girl. 

"So, where are we going?"