Chapter 4 "That's not what I asked"

Packhouse above

Mikkeli POV

"That's not what I asked you to do!" my brother's eyes send daggers in my direction. "You were only supposed to find out what had happened to Maddie; are my twins safe! Not kidnapped them!"

"Calm yourself; I had no choice. We could smell too many rogues and fresh scents very close to their house. You wanted me to risk your sons' safety?" I growl at him, and he glares at me.

Ungrateful bastard!

"What were you even thinking letting two alpha pups, our father's grandsons live on human territory! I should be the one complaining; you hide from me, your brother, your Alpha, that you had a mate, that you have pups! Had you ever told father?" I growl at him.

Hayden sighs. He looks so weak and tired and hurt. I haven't seen him so vulnerable in my entire life.

"I know you are not happy about my secrets, but I made the decision many years ago. And I have never told father or you because I didn't want to risk you disagreeing with my decision."

The door to my study gets opened. 

Rose, with the human girl, goes inside. I think her name is Hannah. I heard one of the twins saying that to her. I'm still angry and honestly feel humiliated. The gash on my left cheek from her silver knife is still there. Alpha of Blackwood Pack cut by a human little girl!

"What the hell happened to you!" Hayden screams, looking at her bruised face and then at me.

It looks awful. I must have hit her much harder than I thought. Fuck, I should've controlled myself better than this!

"She's the feisty one" I shrug my arms.

"Are you Hayden Blackwood?" She asks and cautiously follows Rose to sit beside my desk at one of the chairs. 

Hayden hesitates for a moment before he nods his head; she seems tenser immediately.

"Hannah, I felt your mother's death, and I asked my brother to go and check on you because I wanted to know what had happened and if your family was safe. I swear there was no plan to kidnap you all and bring you here. My brother assured me he had to do it because of the rogues he had smelt close to your house. We must figure out why they were there before we let you go home."

"Are you insane!" I interrupt him, "You can't let your sons live in the human territory!"

"And why should I believe you?" Hannah says, looking my brother dead in the eye. "Why should I believe my mother's rapist?"

I cringe hearing her words and look at my brother in disbelief. What the fuck is that supposed to mean! Rose also seems uncomfortable.

Hayden swallows the pile in his throat and looks sadly at Hannah.

"I will not make any excuses because I have none. I raped Maddie, and that's how she got pregnant. I'm sure you are not interested in anything I have to say, and it's not time for that. But you will only stay here until we make sure that your home is safe again, I promise."

"You will stay away from my siblings,'' she says. "I don't want you around them!" 

And after that, she leaves the room with Rose following her. Hayden sighs heavily and looks at me.

"I'm sure you're full of questions," he says "you remember how it was here when father was in charge. You remember how he used to raise us, spoiling me and hurting you and..."

"Don't say that about father," I yell, I hate when someone disrespects him, and our childhood is a touchy topic.

"Right, this it's not about it," Hayden smiles sadly "however, you know how he used to treat omegas and tolerated some bad things happening here. He kept saying that the mate should be your strength, worthy of you, and a weak mate is something to be ashamed of. I was a spoiled brat at that time, and I was sure all my life that my only task was to fulfill his expectations. So when I found out that Maddie was my mate, the omega daughter of another omega with no father, I was furious. I immediately rejected her and ensured she wouldn't tell anybody about it.  The rejection was very painful also for me, but I'm sure it was far worse for her because her wolf was so much weaker than mine."

He keeps avoiding looking at me as he continues:

"And we, my wolf and I, desired her, lusted for her. So... I suggested her to be my one-night stand from time to time, I just thought I could have her without making her Luna, without giving her a rightful place in the pack, without disappointing our father, and I thought I was generous. But Maddie was proud and decided that she would never become my whore. Soon after that, I lost control and raped her. I often think about that night, thinking about any excuses, but I have found none. My wolf wasn't in control. It was me. I wanted her. I ignored her cries, her begging for me to stop, her pain. I took what I wanted, and I broke her. She ran away two months later when she figured out she was pregnant. She ran away because she was terrified I would take her baby away..."

"Was it when you went crazy, started disagreeing with father at every point? And then disappeared for almost two years?" Finally, I ask with a dead tone, and he slowly nods.

"I found her after some time, but she moved on; she was happy. I approached her only once; she had a panic attack, started screaming, begging me to let go of them, never to show up again, and... my heart was broken as it should be. The bond was shattered, and the rejection was completed. I had no rights to her or my sons. She was in love with another man, with the man who saved her life and saved the life of my children."

"I accepted what I had done and came home, but I wasn't strong enough anymore to please father, and honestly, I didn't want to be what he had wanted me to be anymore. So I never said anything because knowing our father, he would have dragged Maddie and the boys here, maybe even killed her in an attempt to make my wolf strong again. I'm sorry I kept it away from you, but after my falling off with father, you were admiring him so much that I was afraid that you wouldn't have kept that secret from him."

There comes an uncomfortable silence when I look at my sad brother and honestly don't know what to say to him.

"Please, Mikkeli, let me do it on my own. My sons and their sisters will stay here until I find out why there were rogues so close to them. And after I make sure they are no longer in danger, they will go back to their lives."

"You don't want your only children?" I ask in disbelief.

"I want my children, but I have to earn my right to be in their lives, not force myself into it. And one more thing," his eyes turn black, and his fangs start coming out," if you ever touch Hannah or any of them again, I'll make you bleed."

And with that, he leaves my office, smashing the door.

I sigh. I hate family drama!