Chapter 37: "We still have something to protect"

Hannah POV

I sit in the window frame in the pack's infirmary. James is sleeping on my lap; I gently pat his hair listening to quiet "beep, beep" sounds.

Hayden's heartbeat is very weak, yet he is still alive. 

I look at all the machines he is attached to, feeling strong pain in my chest. But I don't cry, and I don't have any strength to cry anymore. 

 It's been five days since the bloodshed, and Hayden hasn't woken up. When we finally managed to get to him in that cellar, he was already in a coma. He didn't become feral, but we don't know if he will ever wake up again. Gideon said that there was a high chance that Hayden's wolf was gone, and losing the wolf is almost always a death sentence.

Yet Hayden is still alive, and we can do only one thing, we can only wait. 

James is here because Gideon made it clear that the presence of his pups may be the only way to help Hayden. I didn't even have to ask them; they agreed immediately to stay next to him all the time. They sleep here, and during the days, they take turns so their father is never left alone.

Just like me, they are sad, and it's so unfair. Barely a couple of months before, they lost their parents, and now they have to fear also losing Hayden every single day.

We buried Tony three days ago. Although he wasn't the only victim of Becca's and Connie's attack, he was the Beta of this pack. For many years he served and protected this place and the people who live here. For many years he was Mikkeli's support, friend, and brother.

Mikkeli is devastated, so he buried himself in work, coming back to the safety of his shell. He shows everyone his strong façade, but I know how broken and sad he is, but as an Alpha, he has no privilege to surrender to his pain. 

He had to be the one who delivered the news to Tony's mate, although she had already felt that she had lost him. He helped her prepare the body for the burial and hold her in his arms when she was crying. His speech during the funeral was calm but full of emotions of suffering and loss, and all that time, he didn't stop squeezing my hand.

The door to the room gets opened, and Rose comes in; she sits next to us.

"You should go and eat something; I can stay with James and Hayden. You've barely eaten today."

"I'm not hungry," I say, and Rose gently hugs me.

"Tony's family is leaving today," she says, and that's what gets my attention.

"I don't understand. Why?" I ask.

"She's not from here, Hannah. She moved here six years ago when Tony and she found each other. She doesn't have any family here, and Tony's father spends most of his time traveling. He didn't even manage to come to his son's funeral. Her parents and brother are going back to their pack, and she wants to go with them. Her mate is gone, and she still has her kids, but it will take years for her to accept this loss. "

That makes me leave the room; I must at least say goodbye. I go to her, she's packing, and her relatives are helping. She notices me as I stand by the door.

"I want to say goodbye," I decided to speak first.

"Luna, I'm sorry if you think I act impulsively. I can't stay here; everything reminds me of him..." her voice breaks, she starts sobbing, and I quickly go and hug her.

"Do what you think is the best for you and your children. I just want you to know that you will always have your home here, you will always have friends here, and if you ever need anything, we will always help you."