Chapter 16: " There is no such a thing like coincidence again"

Hank, the Beta of the Full Moon Pack above

Hannah POV

Two days after my brother's first shift, I find myself riding with Rose, a couple of other omegas, some pack warriors, and Gideon into the human city. 

 Hayden and Rose decided that since the boys had shifted, it was high time for all of us to become pack members officially. Since the summer is almost over, they decided to organize a big open party to celebrate our inclusion in the pack. 

 All pack's members seem very happy with the idea, it turned out they haven't had any type of big celebration for some time, and all are eager to have some good fun. Of course, organizing a big party will include lots of shopping, lots of cooking, and other types of preparations, and that's why we are in the car riding to the city. 

Only Hayden and I know. I will also check our suspicion at the local post office. And that is where I go immediately after our arrival. I enter the post building and have a brief conversation with the clerk, who happens to be an older lady; she's very talkative and gives me a lot of information. 

 Like the fact that he or Rose usually picked up my father's letters to Hayden, but about half a year ago,  there was here burglary, soon after a lady came and asked about mail addressed to Hayden, assuming that this mysterious lady had met with a clerk as talkative as the one I met, I'm sure she had got lots of information except the address, so that's why the burglary had to happen.

I leave the post office ready to meet with Rose in one of the shops when I see him standing on the opposite side of the road. 

Hank, the Beta of Full Moon Pack, looks straight into my eyes and slowly motions his head trying to summon me to him. I know I shouldn't probably trust him, but I still remember he is the one who saved us in the woods. I follow him as he steps further into an alley where we are no longer at risk of being seen or heard.

"Hello, again, Hannah," he smiles at me even though the look in his eyes is very serious "any incidents with rogues lately?"

"No, since the last time," I reply," I should probably thank you for saving us that day. We were fortunate that you were there unless it wasn't a coincidence."

"You sure are the blunt one," he smirks, "but it wasn't a coincidence; I saw them heading towards the direction of your pack. After the first incident with the rogues who had managed to walk through our territory to get to yours, I started to have more patrolling, and I kind of did them alone, not mentioning them to anybody except those I trust".

"And when we were attacked?"

"I noticed them walking through our forest, I didn't interact because I was curious why they were there, why they weren't detected. They knew exactly where they were going and how to avoid our standard patrol routes. The first time it could be coincidence; drunken warrior talking too much happens from time to time, but there is no such a thing as coincidence happening again."

"So someone from your pack guided them, made it possible for them to get to Blackwood territory."

"That's for sure, but they knew where they were heading. They knew exactly where in the forest you were, and the only way for them to know that is they got that information..."

"...from someone from Blackwood Pack," I manage to finish his sentence and look straight into his eyes. 

Mikkeli probably would disapprove of it, but I trust Hank; I bite my lips and ask the question I know he won't be happy about.

"Do you think your Alpha knows about this?" I can see that his eyes darken with anger.

"No, I think my Alpha doesn't know about this, but he is too proud to admit that something is going on in his territory,  and he's not in control of it. Lame excuses like coincidence or drunk warrior are better for him. And honestly, he doesn't care too much about your pack as long as his territory isn't in direct danger".

"And you think this situation can pose a danger to your pack?"

"Rogues going in and out of our land are dangerous, no matter what kind of deal was made with them. I must ensure that my people are safe, no less, no more. I helped you because you needed help, and attacking children doesn't suit me very well. And you managed to grab my attention, Hannah. What's so special about you or maybe somebody very close to you that someone puts a lot of hard work to get to you".

He's standing so close to me; I try not to show my fear and try not to take a step back. For a moment, he looks at me, probably calculating if I'm worth being trusted.

"There is a bar here," he says and gives me a business card "I drink there every last Friday of a month alone. If Mikkeli wishes to talk or exchange information, come to find me, but I will talk only with you; he can't show there no matter what."

"Why me?" 

He tries to leave but, hearing my question, stops and turns around to look at me again.

"You're human, Hannah, that bar is human's bar, no one will be able to detect your scent on me, and you must understand that Beta exchanging information with Alpha of the different pack is considered treason. Plus, I also don't trust Mikkeli fully; I must at least think about the possibility that he may know what's going on and just pretending not to."

I stay alone in the alley for a few minutes to ensure he's gone. I take a deep breath and go to meet Rose, trying not to show how worried I am. Actually, Hank is the first one implying that Mikkeli can withhold some information from me, maybe even from Hayden. But still, the thought that he would risk his brother's life, his nephews' life, and my life seems unimaginable.

Rose doesn't seem to notice my preoccupied behavior because she is so much into choosing the dress for me. She seems to be on cloud nine when she picks one model of dress after another and tells me how beautiful I look. I enjoy moments with her; it's been so long since I went shopping. Maddie used to take me out often for "girls' afternoon", as she called it. 

After we pick the dress for me and the clothes for the boys and Rosie, we go to the nearest cafe to rest. I talk with Rose about the time I used to spend with Maddie, and I can see she's touched. Maddie was her only child; after all, she must miss her very much.

"I do regret that I didn't have the opportunity to be part of your family," she says with a trembling voice.

"Why didn't you run away with Maddie?" I ask, gently squeezing her hand

"Because I was scared, I wasn't ever strong enough to fight for myself. My life wasn't the best, but I never tried to reach higher to change something. I accepted my fate, and I didn't believe we could manage to survive alone as rogues. After she got pregnant with Hayden's child, I thought it was good. If she had an alpha child, Hayden might accept her or at least provide for her. "

"Even though he was the one who had hurt her?"

"I knew he was sorry, and he regretted what he had done a lot. After he raped Maddie and she lost consciousness, he brought her home to me. I was furious, I lost it, I beat the shit out of him, and he just took it all. I threw him out of our room, and all the time, he kept apologizing. I was stupid enough to think that the mate bond could justify all types of behavior, and maybe they still could make it work. But I'm happy and proud that Maddie wanted more, that somehow I managed not to convince her she didn't deserve better, that she was strong enough to try to give her and her child a better life. That she valued her dignity enough not to repeat my mistake."

"What mistake?" I ask, and Rose sighs.

"Maddie's father. I was once young Hannah, and I wanted a better life than living as an omega maid in an abusive pack with cruel Alpha, so I seduced a very high-ranked wolf hoping that if I had given him a strong child, it would've been my ticket out of the Blackwood Pack."

"And he abandoned you and Maddie because she was an omega," I say, looking into her eyes, and she nods.

"He didn't feel entitled towards the child or me. He found his mate, I didn't, but after Maddie was born, we ignored each other. He may not even remember me, " she gives me a bitter smile.

"Do you keep seeing him?" I can feel her hand squeezing mine stronger.

"Maddie's father was an n Alpha of the Full Moon Pack."