Chapter 25: "Family with too many secrets"

Mikkeli POV

I wake up in the morning engulfed with the most delightful scent. 

I take a look at Hannah sleeping soundly in my arms, and I can't stop a warm feeling in my chest even though my heart is still heavy; the events of yesterday keep hunting me. I put my nose into her hair, inhaling, feeling as if she was the only light in the darkness that surrounds me.

I think about what she did for me yesterday after my breakdown. No one has held me for many years, no one has comforted me for many years, and no one has been so close to me for many years. 

Yesterday, after I stopped sobbing in her arms, she made me get up and helped me clean myself from all the blood and sweat, or should I say she cleaned me herself. I was so numb. There was no will to do anything in me. I just allowed her to do whatever she wanted. 

Her touch was very soothing, gentle, and full of care. I think I have never been handled with such care in my whole life, as if I was important, as if I was worth being taken care of. And for the first time in my life, I felt that there was no shame in being sad, in being devastated, in showing weakness.

After she washed me, she gently dried and brushed my hair, helped me back to my bedroom, and went to my closet to find some clean clothes. She left me to get dressed and returned to the bathroom to clean herself. 

When she came back, I felt much calmer, but I was still numb and felt unable to do anything. Seriously, I just thought she would leave, but she didn't. She went to my closet, put on one of my T-shirts, and came back to bed, where I was sitting.

"It's time to get some sleep," she told me all this time, only that one sentence.

I laid myself down and let her put her head on my chest; I hugged her closer to me with my arm and let my eyes shut. The only thing Byron and I were focused on at this moment was the warmth of her body, the calming sound of her heartbeat. That's when I finally realized how tired I was and how much I wanted to be allowed to rest.

Now after many hours of sleep, I still feel tired, I still feel guilty, and full of sorrow. Killing them hasn't given me any satisfaction. Honestly, I didn't do it to get some satisfaction. I just wanted to go to Kyle and tell him that they would never get near him again.

I mindlink Rose to ask her for breakfast, but Hannah still doesn't wake up. When a couple of minutes later, I open the door, and Rose enters with a tray of food, which she puts on the table.

"Kyle?" I ask her.

"He's still sleeping. I was sitting with him during the night; Hayden was sleeping with my grandchildren," she answers me but looks at Hannah.

"I haven't done anything," I say. "You can tell Hayden so he won't be so tense."

"Hayden is just worried about her, I am worried about her, and I'm pretty sure I have reasons to."

A spark of irritation gets through me, but she gives me a sharp look, and I swallow my frustration.

"You all worry too much. Hannah is not a child," I reply.

"No, she's not. She's a young woman who has been through a lot, and staying here puts her only through much more, and she shouldn't have to deal with that. Gideon is with Kyle. He will mindlink you when Kyle wakes up."

After she's gone, I try not to think too much about what she has just said. I just look at my mate sleeping soundly, taking in how beautiful she looks. I gently touch her cheek to wake her up. For a moment, she looks at me in confusion as if she didn't know where she is.