Chapter 31: "Painful stories to tell in the dark"

Hannah POV

It's been over a week since Mikkeli and most of the warriors left the pack. 

We who stayed are locked. Because most manpower was sent to fight, the rest of the pack was forced to move to the packhouse because of security reasons. Only 15 warriors were left with Tony to ensure the safety of the remaining pack members; because of that, we all live in the packhouse, and we can't step outside too often.

 The house has been specifically prepared for the battle with movement detectors around it, with locked and shielded windows looking now more like a bastion. Because all the families are here now, it's so crowded, almost eighty people live here, and because of that, we have to rearrange all our accommodation conditions. 

That means, yet again, I share a room with my siblings in addition to Rose and Kyle this time. At least we still have our private bathroom since we got Mikkeli's room. It is a big help because Kyle has his morning sickness now all the time, not only in the morning. I'm concerned when I look at him he because he is so pale and tired, but his baby bump is now a little bit visible, and the way he smiles when he caresses it makes me hope for maybe a bright future for both of him and his baby.

Tony is now in charge of the pack as the Beta, but for some reason whatsoever, he decided to listen to me when I gave my input on the new organization of the pack. It's difficult to keep all these people in one place doing nothing but worrying about their loved ones who went to war; that's why discipline has to be maintained. 

I made sure, with the help of Rose to assign everybody some tasks and not to organize them in groups; they won't be able to work even though the only thing they do right now is cleaning and cooking. All those times, I was stuck with my dad and then the rest of my family in our cabin because of winter and blizzards paid back. 

I know how to organize work when you are stuck in one place, I know how you organize your time when you suddenly have so much of it, and I know how to entertain yourself with movies, reading nights, pillow fights, and other things you have to do when you just cannot go anywhere.

Because there are not enough wolves to maintain the patrolling of the whole territory, I convinced Tony to let the job also be done by females who are not warriors but mostly housewives. But they are quick and cautious, and they know the territory. They know that if they encounter any danger, their task is to withdraw immediately and notify the pack.  It helped to reduce the workload of our remaining warriors.

The next thing was pack ranch, which is now kind of out of business, but still, all the animals have to be taken care so very limited manpower was delegated there, mostly older wolves.

The time when the children and pack members can go outside is also highly supervised, which means everyone has their turn and cannot leave the packhouse's garden, the schedule is tight, but I made sure that everyone has a chance to get some fresh air. Again my idea, Tony thought that the pack members should just swallow it and deal with it. Still, werewolves are just not creatures dealing well with being locked. Tony's mate was on my side with this. Their wolves need fresh air, even if only half an hour a day, especially children and teenagers.

The pack seems to develop a special attachment to the movie evenings; every night, we entertain ourselves with at least two movies to watch, which gives us a lot of chillouts. When in your reality, all you do is worry, it's good to stop thinking about it for at least a couple of hours every day.

I'm also talking; I feel as if I was talking all the time during the last week. I'm all time surrounded by werewolves, and all of them seem to need to talk. 

I do enjoy talking with pack members, I feel they trust me, and I feel care. I care about all of them. It also helps my time to go by; it helps me not to think and miss Mikkeli every single second.