Chapter 6: "It's good to have a home"

Maddie and her husband above

Hannah POV

I'm sitting at the back of the packhouse watching twins playing with local boys. 

It's already been almost two weeks since we came here. Officially, we are visiting our grandma, at least that's what I told the boys and Rosie, and that's what Rose told everybody else, including Kyle, although he didn't seem convinced. 

I must say none of my worst fears came to be true during the last two weeks. The boys seem pretty happy with the change of scenery, and with Rosie, honestly, I don't think that three-year-old girl is too much focused on what is happening around her. She spends most of her day with me and most of her nights. The boys are already sleeping alone in the other room, but Rosie has a tendency to wake up early, and I have to cuddle her or carry her since 4:00 in the morning almost every day, and I'm tired.

Hayden is nothing but well-mannered and properly behaved all the time. He keeps spending some quality time with boys and because of that with me because I'm still unsure about leaving him alone with them. As much as I don't like to admit it, he's good with them, and I can see they like him very much. I can't complain, everybody seems very lovely, well maybe not everybody.

From time to time, I can catch two sets of eyes sending nothing but anger in my direction. 

The first one belongs to Andrew. Rumour has it he has been quite ridiculed because of our "encounter" in my house. Kyle and the other omegas working in the house seem to enjoy making fun of him a lot. I guess Andrew wasn't very popular before I came, at least not among lower members of the pack. This pack hierarchy is also quite different from what Maddie told me. She used to say that some higher members of the pack could be abusive, but for these two weeks, I haven't witnessed any sort of bullying. 

Kyle told me, to my surprise, that when Mikkeli became an Alpha, he strictly forbade this sort of behavior, and at the beginning, he punished those who refused to obey him quite severely. Who would have thought that Mikkeli would be so thoughtful about the others? This takes us back to the second set of eyes, which keeps bothering me even more than Andrew's. I don't know why I feel so unsure every time he looks at me, and he keeps looking at me quite a lot. 

The problem is I also keep looking at him; even though he's a jerk, he is a handsome jerk. But something in his eyes keeps bothering me; Andrew hates me, that one is certain, and I know I need to be careful around him, but Mikkeli... with him, I feel threatened and safe at the same time,  and I have no idea what I should expect from him.

"Hello there, can I sit here?" I look up and see no one but Tony.

I already know he is a Beta, which means second in command in the pack and Mikkeli's best friend. How is it possible that best friends are so different? Tony smiles and jokes a lot and always seems cheerful. He's also quite a tall brown-haired guy with tattoos and sharp brown eyes. He smiles gently and sits next to me after I have permitted him.

"How are you feeling? Do you think all of you are now pretty much settled here?"

" Pretty much, yes, I can't complain. I mean, I think it was good for the boys and Rosie to meet their grandma," I reply. "they seem more at peace here."

"I think it's normal; it is their pack; your brothers' wolves should surface soon. Their first shift is coming, so being around other wolves and being around the pack is good for them. It gives a feeling of security." he smiles, looking in the direction of my brothers.

"You know what we are not going to stay here," I say, not looking at him.

"Maybe you should think about it; it's good to have a place called home."