Chapter 23 "I promised to protect him" Part 1

Trigger warning in this chapter

Hannah POV

During the next few days, I have been trying not to think too much about what Jake had told me. 

He was right about one thing, though; it will be all or nothing. If I stay here, I will be Mikkeli's Luna. If he decides that he doesn't want to mark me, I will leave, and there will be no "between". I will have all of Mikkeli, or I will have none of him; that much is certain. 

I also have been thinking about what Jake said about Hayden, about his supposed feelings towards me. Hayden is my friend, it took me a while to accept him as such, and I'm scared that something like unrequired feelings may destroy it. Plus, he's my brother's father, and we have to raise my siblings together whether we like it or not, so the situation between us should be clear and not complicated.

"Hannah, can you bring this to the garden shed?" Rose's voice makes me get focused on the present moment. 

It's evening, the warriors have already finished their dinner, and most are probably already in their quarters. Hayden is taking care of my siblings, and Mikkeli is with all the Alphas in the dining room, eating. Everybody slowly prepares to finish daily duties and go home to rest.

I listen to Rose and take the things she gives me and head toward the garden shed. The garden seems to be quiet and empty, covered with darkness. I decide to take a different route to go back and go towards the house through our front yard, not directly into the kitchen, and that is when I spot her. 

She's half-covered with darkness, but I know it's Connie; I see her face in the dim moon's light. She's pressed into the garden's stonewall very close to the house.  It's a good hiding spot, Mikkeli and I used it too, around two weeks ago. Both her arms and legs are wrapped around somebody else, who is now assaulting her neck as she moans in delight. 

She looks so happy, almost enchanted. The proud and spoiled daughter of Alpha is gone; right now, I see a woman, a woman who seems carefree.  

I know that Mikkeli is in the dining room, and the person who is now with Connie is a much more gentle posture than him, so I have no reasons to be jealous. I turn around and leave them alone. Connie looks so happy that I hope that whoever is with her will choose them, not her ambition as a future Luna with mighty Alpha.

When I get back to the kitchen, I hear Rose complaining that nobody has seen Kyle for a while, and he's supposed to be helping her. And that's when I spot her. 

One of the pack's tiny omega girls is standing in the corner of the kitchen, fidgeting with her fingers and obviously looking nervous. She notices that I look at her and quickly leaves. I follow her immediately; I know that something is wrong.

"Hey, stay; I'm talking to you!" I catch her in the corridor and stop her from leaving. "What's wrong? Where is Kyle? Do you know something?"

She tries to wiggle out of my grasp and avoids looking me in the eyes.

"I... I'm just worried about that... Kyle and I were today in the quarters of Full Moon pack to clean, but we didn't finish when some of them came after dinner, and they told me to leave, that they wanted to be alone and didn't need any omegas fidgeting around... So I- I left and I- I was expecting that Kyle who was upstairs would've followed me soon, but he didn't so I... so after a while, I came back to packhouse and he's... he's not here still, and it was almost two hours ago" she stutters.

I can feel my blood getting cold, and the awful, sickening feeling of fear is getting overbearing.

"Go back to the kitchen. If I'm not back in 15 minutes, you will tell Rose that I went to the Full Moon pack. Is it clear?" I say in a stern voice, and she nods.