Chapter 26

"We are gathered here to bear witness to bear witness to the naming of Queen Catrina as the rightful heir to Camelot," the bishop announced as Catrina stood proudly at the dais in her pale pink dress and full collar, Miriam back in her purple dress she borrowed from Morgana for the wedding as they stood on the opposite side of the aisle to Arthur who was clearly stewing in his thoughts. "Are you willing to take the oath?"

"I am," she proclaimed as Uther merely looked at her in awe, the bishop unravelling his scroll to begin the ceremony.

"Do you solemnly swear to govern the people of Camelot, to uphold the laws and customs of the land?"

"I do," Catrina answered, but it seemed a little hesitant as she began scratching at her arm through the sleeve of her dress.

"Will you, to your power, cause law and justice and mercy, to be executed in all your judgements?"

"I will," she said quickly as her scratching increased.

"Will you, to the utmost of your powers maintain the laws -"

"Yes, yes," Catrina interrupted, quickly flashing the warts that began to fester on her arm.

"I'm sorry, but you must let me finish," the bishop explained. "The wording must be exactly right to be binding."

"Well get on with it then! I mean really, where'd you dig up this old crone from?" she asked Uther, whose smile never faded as people glanced at each other in confusion.

Miriam only saw Morgana grow confused when Uther agreed with the rude behaviour of his wife. "She's right. Get on with it," he said as Morgana gaped, even Arthur's brow furrowing as the bishop only nodded his head.

"Will you, to the utmost of your powers-"

"Yes, yes, yes," Catrina cut in as the bishop kept going.

"-Maintain the laws and customs-"

"I will, I will."

"-Of the land and serve the people of Camelot?"

"Yes! Just shut up and give me the crown!" she blurted, and the room burst into gasps as Morgana turned to Miriam and Gwen who stood behind her, in disbelief and judgement of Catrina's rude behaviour.

The bishop then handed a servant his scroll before another brought over a cushion with a golden circlet resting on it.

"Will you just hurry up?!" Catrina yelled, snatching the crown and placing it on her head before running down the aisle and out of the room.

"Gaius, might I borrow Miriam? Catrina may need medical aid," Morgana asked.

"Of course, my lady," Gaius answered, and Miriam took Morgana's hand as they lifted their skirts and chased Uther who was chasing Catrina into the banquet hall.

"Whatever is the matter?" Uther asked as they all caught up to Catrina, Arthur filing into the hall as well.

"I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me. I - I just suddenly felt so hot," she rambled, one hand hidden behind her back and the other fanning her face as she moved back towards the doors. "Do you know, I think I need to be on my own," she said as the group of four moved closer to her, Miriam walking in front of her friend should the troll try anything.

"Are you alright? Miriam can -"

"Yes, yes, I'm fine!" Catrina assured them, cutting Morgana off as she held out her hand, trying to stop them from coming any closer. "Really, thank you. I just- I ..." and she trailed off as she began begging the locked doors to open, her voice changing from its elegant melody to a deep raspy sound.