Chapter 77

"So, if you kill one, another grows back in its place. I thought that was a myth," Miriam said as she handed Gaius the tincture he used to paralyse the Formorrah.

"I thought the same as I've heard such stories but never thought them true. That will silence it for a while," Gaius said as he dipped a cloth into the mixture and dabbed it to the back of Merlin's neck, the creature beneath his skin stopping its wriggling. He then opened a small tin, a foul white smoke spilling over the lip as Merlin coughed and sat up, holding a hand to his head where his sister had hit him with the jug, twice.

"What is that- Arthur's socks?!" Merlin asked before his sister wrapped him in a hug. "What are you trying to do to me?"

"We're trying to stop you from killing the king!" Gaius exclaimed.

"I'm glad you're back, big brother. What the hell were you thinking?! Getting kidnapped and bewitched by Morgana like that!" she scolded as she smacked his arm, Merlin grimacing.

"Like I could help it! Why does my head feel like someone hit it with a rock?" he asked, groaning in pain before a knock sounded at the door and Gwaine stuck his head inside.

"Gwaine. Perfect timing. Oh, don't tell me I'm late for training," she sighed, and he chuckled.

"Not at all, wildfire. Loverboy wants to see you, but not about training. I'm off on patrol after I escort you."

She narrowed her eyes at her friend.

"If by loverboy, you mean our king, then yeah, I'll go with you," she said before kissing her brother's cheek. "I'll get the whole story from Gaius later. Find a way to fix this," she ordered before turning back to Gwaine. "Let's go Squiffy."

"That's really not a flattering name, wildfire. Please change it."

"You asked for it and your king approved it. There is no way in hell I'm changing it, Squiffy," she laughed before angling her head at him. "Please let me give you a haircut. It might as well be longer than mine," she said as they walked out, their arms casually linked.

"Not a chance in hell. I look very dashing when I take off my helm and shake out my hair," he said as he flipped it over his shoulder.

"Care to wager on it?" she asked with a raised brow.

"Oh no. I learnt my lesson after our last wager on the nickname. You're worse than any tavern owner I encountered."

"Please Gwaine," Miriam pleaded, giving him a small pout.

"That face may work on Arthur, but it doesn't work on me," Gwaine said but Miriam's pout only grew as her eyes began to glisten. "Oh look, we're here. I have to patrol. See you later," he said quickly, words wrapped in relief as he pressed his lips to her cheek and ran off.

"Damn, so close," Miriam muttered as she walked into Arthur's rooms.

"Ah, Mira. I wanted to ask - were you crying? Are you alright?" he asked worriedly as he stood from his table, seeing the tears in her eyes.

"Oh. no. I was trying to get Gwaine to let me cut his hair," she explained as if it should be obvious as she wiped her eyes before they landed on the other person in the room. "Uh, who is that?"

"Oh, Agravaine saw to replace Merlin when he believed him dead. This is George," Arthur introduced, Miriam unnerved at how much he looked like her brother.

"Milady," he greeted.

"Um, hi."

"You're dismissed, George," Arthur ordered, and the servant bowed.