Chapter 64

(A/N: This is one of my favourite chapters. I hope you like it. XxD) 

******************************************************************

Miriam had never seen the sword before, but it was beautiful, etched with runes of the Old Religion and inlaid with gold.

And soon after they'd returned, Arthur had revealed that he'd been imbued with a new sense of hope, finally ready to take back his kingdom.

But first, they had to deal with whatever was outside their cave.

"Guinevere!" Arthur exclaimed as he lowered the sword he had raised at her, having grabbed who he thought was an intruder.

"Arthur! Miriam!" the girl gasped, giving the prince a small hug before wrapping her arms around her friend.

"Gwen!"

Gwen then hugged Merlin who introduced her to Gwaine.

"Glad to see you lived this time Leon," Miriam smiled as she hugged her friend.

"We've been found!" came Elyan's voice as he ran towards them. "They're almost upon us!"

"We'll get Gaius," Miriam said as she and Merlin ran into the cave.

Merlin was convincing Gaius to come with them, the old man thinking that he'd just slow them down as Miriam went for the word that they'd hidden.

"Go! That includes you, Gaius! I'll be right behind you," Miriam called.

"Mira -"

"Go, Merlin!"

While the two of them ran out the back entrance, Miriam went out the front, sword in her hand for the first time and she almost felt her heart beating stronger as she dropped into a defensive position, ready for the two soldiers that approached her, Morgana's sigil on their chests.

You would think that the sword would be heavy, but it balanced perfectly as she blocked their swords, expertly taking on the two before throwing them off and swiping the sword across their chests, making them explode in a bright light.

"Oh, Morgana isn't going to know what hit her," she smirked before running after the group.

This war wasn't over yet.

******************************************************************

When Miriam regrouped with them, she was surprised to find Lancelot with them, him finally having received Merlin's letter he sent the second this all began. Lancelot even brought extra help, a man by the name of Percival who was blessed with rather large muscles as he'd caused a whole rockslide to save the group from the soldiers.

Gwen was also rather attached to Lancelot, walking close to him as they made their way through the woods, following Arthur as he led them into the ruins of an old castle that still stood strong.

"Are you sure we'll be safe in here?" Gaius asked as Arthur, Leon and Elyan held torches that lit the room.

"This castle belonged to the ancient kings. It'll do for a while," Arthur explained.

"It can't be worse than that cave," Elyan said, and Miriam chuckled.

"Tell me about it. Why don't you boys make yourselves useful and search the place? See if there's anything good we can use?" Miriam suggested and they split up.

Percival found a water source, offering Gaius some as he sat at a table and Miriam and Gwen lit candles around the room, Merlin having lit the fireplace.