Chapter 56

The large group assembled in the throne room was absolutely silent as she made her way down the aisle, a single step at a time. Especially in the eyes of those she loved, she'd never looked more beautiful, more like a queen.

How could he find someone more perfect?

She was kind, brave, cared for the people, and her heart was good, unparalleled. And most of all, she loved him, and he loved her.

Of course, she wore a dress of blue, one that matched her eyes, but this one was made for a queen. It was also his favourite colour on her.

Her hair fell freely down her shoulders and past her elbows as she knelt on the cushion left for her on the dais steps, her husband looking down on her as she faced forward.

"By the sacred laws vested in me," Arthur began, hair a little longer and face slightly aged beneath his father's crown that he wore, his mother's crown, the queen's crown in his hands. "I crown you Miriam, Queen of Camelot."

And the crown fit perfectly onto her head before she smiled up at Arthur, at her husband who reached out his hand to help her up, her other hand lifting her skirts as she moved to stand by his side on the dais in front of their thrones.

Merlin's beaming smile of pride was brighter than the sun that shone through the windows as his sister sat in her throne, her hand still joined with Arthur's as she smiled at him before finding Gaius and her brother in the crowd.

And Morgana gasped awake, barely able to stop the scream from escaping her mouth at the dream, before anger contorted her features.

This apprentice, this commoner, would not be allowed to sit on her throne.

******************************************************************

"Arthur wishes to spend the day with me?" Miriam asked nervously with furrowed brows as she worked on a pain draught for a farmer who'd injured himself whilst ploughing his fields.

"I thought you'd be happy," her brother said.

"Merlin, I'm beyond happy, but our situation is not that simple. If anyone were to see us -"

"I'll take you someplace outside the city," Merlin interrupted. "Arthur's willing to take the risk if you are."

Miriam still hesitated.

"Shall I tell him you won't meet then?"

"No!" she exclaimed all too quickly and Merlin chuckled as he held his sister by the shoulders.

"Forget that he's prince Arthur and that he can be a spoiled arrogant prat," Merlin said as his stressed sister couldn't help but huff a laugh.

"Merlin."

"Sorry," he smiled, allowing her to calm a bit as he rubbed her arms. "You love him?"

"Yes."

"He loves you?"

"I hope so."

"Mira," Merlin chastised and she gave him a sheepish grin.

"Yes, he loves me."

"Then isn't that all that really matters?"

Miriam's exhaling breath was full of surprise.

"Who knew you could be full of wisdom?"

And just like that Merlin was on the move as he pecked her cheek, heading for the door.

"I'll come and pick you up from here tomorrow morning," he said, Miriam nodding before he was gone.

Butterflies seemed to explode inside of her, concealing the dread inside her heart.

She was going on a date with Arthur.