Chapter 105

"Stop! Show yourself," Leon ordered as he drew his sword, the queen in her own armour as she walked by his side with her cloak around her shoulders, night blanketing the city of Camelot.

"For goodness sake, Leon!" Miriam exclaimed as the figure turned and dropped their hood. "He's just a boy, so please put that sword away."

"Out here in the middle of the night?" Leon questioned as they got closer.

"Put it away," Miriam ordered again, Leon complied this time as the boy dropped to his knees. "You needn't kneel for me," she smiled as she pulled him to his feet. "Where are you going?" she asked kindly.

"Been catching frogs," he answered, voice small as he walk likely intimidated by the group that followed behind Leon and Miriam.

"Frogs?" Leon spoke.

"Oh, don't tell me you never used to do it, Leon," Miriam grinned as she glanced back at him. "It's a full moon. Merlin and I used to do it all the time," she said before looking back to the boy. "Come on. You should be in bed by now. Off you go."

"Thank you, Queen Miriam," he said with a small bow of his head.

"You are safe here," she said in parting and the boy was a little confused, unaware that the queen had seen the tattoo on his wrist that marked him as a druid. The boy continued running before Miriam turned to her escort with a sigh.

"I think that's about the only criminal activity we'll encounter tonight," she proclaimed.

"I'll escort you back to your rooms, my lady," Leon offered and Miriam gave the knight a bright smile.

"Why, thank you, Sir Leon," she replied as she took his arm. "And whilst we walk, you can regale me with the tales of you catching frogs in your youth, or else we'll have to do it now."

Leon chuckled before continuing on and indeed telling her of how he and Gwen used to catch frogs on the night of a full moon.

Though as she bid goodnight to Leon and began to unclasp the cloak from her neck, she looked up in adoration at the sight before her.

"Oh, Arthur," she exhaled as she saw the lit candles and the garlands of flowers he and Merlin were wrapping around the bed. "Are the white orchids to apologise for something stupid you've done or will do, or merely a sweet gesture?" she asked with a raised brow and Arthur huffed a laugh as she approached and he wrapped his arms around her.

"A sweet gesture, I promise," he said as she slid her hands up his arms and onto his shoulders, their lips dangerously close.

"Have I been gone so long that a gesture was warranted?" she asked lowly, eyes half-closed as she bit her bottom lip.

"Well anytime you spend away from me is too long, and you always deserve a grand gesture," he whispered back before Merlin coughed. "Ah, Merlin. It's late and you could probably do with some rest," Arthur said to his servant who was more than eager to get away from this display, even if he helped prepare for it.

"Thank you, sire," Merlin said in parting, heading for the door before he looked back at them. Miriam had let out a small squeal as Arthur scooped her up and set her on the bed, the two of them talking happily as Arthur began to undo her gauntlet laces.

He used to be worried about leaving them alone for one reason and now he was worried about leaving them alone for another.

But still, he walked out the door.

Little did he know that he wouldn't be back for a little while.

******************************************************************