Chapter 110

After the people had been seen to and offered shelter and food for a time, long after they'd returned from their picnic, word from Odin's kingdom had returned.

The city of Helva, a place where magic was practiced freely near the borders of Odin's land and Camelot, was attacked and ransacked. Few people had escaped to Odin's capital while others fled the other way into Camelot.

The king had thanked them for taking care of his subjects, offering to send an armoured escort to escort them back to his kingdom should they want to return.

So while Merlin ventured into the woods to investigate where a magical talisman he'd found on the picnic had come from, Miriam was drafting a response to Odin, telling him his people were welcome to stay or return once all their injuries had healed.

Gaius and Merlin however had discovered the real reason why Helva was attacked. The Catha priest, Alator, had been seeking shelter there and he was the only person outside of Camelot that knew the identity of Emrys and Emerie, not that Morgana much cared for the woman that was claimed to be her envy, she was more concerned with her supposed doom.

Naturally, Gaius felt very guilty for he'd been the one to give up Merlin and Miriam's identities though not of his own will.

For now, though, there was nothing they could do as they had no clue where he was being held or the people at Morgana's command.

The thoughts of Alator were pulled from his head though, as Arthur summoned him.

"Shh!" Arthur hushed as he closed the curtains that separated his bed from the dining room, Merlin peeking through them to see his sister still asleep.

"What are you doing?" Merlin asked.

"I'm gonna surprise her - breakfast in bed," Arthur explained.

"Oh. What a lovely thought," Merlin agreed as he pulled the curtains closed and began to leave.

"Where are you going?"

"You don't need me, do you?"

"I can't very well go and get the breakfast, can I? What if she wakes up and - panics?"

Merlin raised his brows.

"I'm sorry, is that a different Miriam in your bed? Or do you not know the person you married?"

"Look, just get the breakfast, please. And don't forget the flowers."

"Ah, the personal touch. Nice," Merlin mocked.

"Just go!"

One would think it a boring, mundane task that he'd been given, but in Camelot, things never stayed boring for long, for a mysterious woman with a strange symbol on her wrist had cornered Merlin.

And she knew his name. She knew he was Emrys.

The guard patrol leaving the city had scared her off and she'd given Merlin the chance to meet her tonight.

He was still debating what he should do as he prepared his sister's breakfast. This was a chore that he particularly liked because he was finally able to take care of her, unlike in Ealdor when food was scarce.

One thing was for sure though, he couldn't tell Miriam about it.

She had enough things to worry about being queen, not to mention still recovering from the torture she'd endured in the dark tower now that she remembered it.

Part of the reason why Arthur had been so affectionate was to try and help her overcome the nightmares that left her screaming herself awake.

But his morning plans were semi-ruined by Merlin.