Chapter 106

They'd set up a plan after that and Arthur watched as his wife snuck into the woods as handed over the details of the levy collection route to Morgana.

"Arthur, she's not doing it willingly," Merlin whispered as he watched Arthur begin to draw his sword as he hid behind the tree next to Merlin's. "And Morgana is too powerful for us to take her on now. It is not the time."

"If I lose her, I lose everything," Arthur murmured, looking absolutely heartbroken as he refused to take his eyes off her.

"I know how you feel," Merlin said as he looked from his little sister to his brother-in-law. "We'll find a way to bring her back. I promise."

And Arthur was helpless as he watched them depart, Morgana long gone as his queen began walking towards them.

"We have to go!" Merlin urged, as he began to flee, but Arthur grabbed him.

"Wait!"

Miriam had stopped, the glint of the moonlight reflecting off her wedding ring as it shone through the canopy and brought it to her attention.

And just like that, she was swept up in the memories of how it got there, of everything she'd been through to get Arthur to become her husband. Moreover, she was lost in the emotions of the memories as her heart twisted and she was brought to her knees and briefly won out over the magic of Morgana.

"Mira!" Arthur bellowed as he dashed out from behind the trees to the confused girl as she took in her surroundings, a hand still to her head in pain.

"Arthur? Arthur?" she cried in relief as he rushed to wrap his arms around her. "Merlin!"

Merlin couldn't help the happy smile that spread across his face as he hugged his true sister for the first time in weeks.

"You got my note. I'm so sorry! I -"

"No!" Arthur cut her off as he cupped her cheek with one hand, Miriam holding his other and one of Merlin's. "This is no fault of yours. I would hear no more of it."

Miriam was crying silent tears as she gave him a small smile.

"We will free you, Mira, I promise," Merlin added as he squeezed her hand before she let out a scream, all of them dropping to their knees with her.

"It's getting stronger. I can't fight it off much longer," she strained, eyes closed as her face scrunched up in pain, hands in her hair that had fallen out of her hood.

"Mira, Miriam, listen to me," Arthur urged as he held her face, Merlin with his hands on her back as he sneakily tried to give Miriam more magical strength to fight Morgana's magic. "I love you. I love you and I promise you that you will be free from Morgana's spell."

Another scream slipped past Miriam's lips before she felt a small burst of strength from Merlin's magic.

"You - you have to go!" Miriam said, still very much in agony. "I won't remember any of this when the spell takes over! You can't be here! Go!"

They were still hesitant until her eyelids opened, the fear visible beneath the blue of her irises as the rocks scattered across the forest floor cut through the skirts of her dress and into her legs.

"GO!" she screamed again and the boys ran.

And with her last bit of energy, Miriam called out for Kilgharrah in the dragon tongue before her eyes glowed gold and she set about back to the castle with a wicked grin on her face at the thought of the attack on the levy collection.

But while she strolled, she was highly unaware of Kilgharrah landing in the clearing as Merlin and Arthur approached.

"It has been too long, Merlin. And it would seem that you've gotten yourselves into more trouble than usual," the great dragon said and Merlin was slightly offended.