Chapter 99

In the end, Arthur had decided not to embrace the old religion, being unable to get over all he'd been taught by his father for over two decades.

And the Disir had said nothing other than his fate had been sealed. So, they could do nothing but move on and hope for the best as of now.

But Merlin had persuaded Arthur to decide as he had in hopes that Mordred would perish and Arthur would be safe, but Arthur's decision only restored the druid to health.

"I miss him," Miriam said as she stood before the pile of rocks with her brother, Merlin having set a fresh bouquet of flowers on it.

"So do I," Merlin agreed as he wrapped his arm around her, Miriam leaning her head on her shoulder. "We didn't know him for long, but, he was still our father. He still lives on in us. You especially."

She chuckled but Merlin only smiled.

"They were his words. I take after mother, and you take after our father. Except for the magic part, of course."

"Shhh," she hushed, even though the knights were far from them out of respect and there was no one else for miles.

"There's no one to hear us," he laughed.

"Still, you can never be too careful, Emrys, world's greatest sorcerer and saviour of the king and of Albion," she teased, and Merlin gently nudged her head with his shoulder.

"Neither can you, Emerie, most powerful dragonlord to ever exist and the once and future queen of Albion."

Her laugh was a joyous sound as she held her brother tighter.

"I wonder what he'd think of us now," she said.

"He'd be proud. I know he would. I mean, technically I'm a lord now and you're the queen of Camelot, I don't think there's anything more we could do to make him proud," Merlin pointed out and Miriam smiled, tears welling in her eyes.

"We could liberate magic."

"We're getting there. Albion will be born and one day all people like us, like me, will be accepted," Merlin promised.

"Come. We should return to the others," Miriam said as she tightened her cloak around her, her brother nodding as he allowed her to go first.

The original knights of the round table had been talking jovially around a fire when they arrived, promptly snuffing out the flames before mounting their steeds and heading back for Camelot.

"You know, wildfire, none of us may have had the pleasure of meeting your father as we did your mother, but I have to say, I have no doubt he'd be proud of you," Gwaine assured his queen who smiled.

"He'd be more proud of Merlin," Miriam replied, her brother perking up at the sound of his name.

"Me?"

"Not just because of your new title as lord and an honorary knight of the round table, but of the man you've become. You've come a long way from the boy I said goodbye to in Ealdor."

Merlin chuckled.

"Though I think that hardly compares to the queen of Camelot."

"You are amazing though, Merlin," Elyan piped up and Merlin smiled at his friend in thanks.

"Not as amazing as you are," Gwaine said to Elyan. "Especially when it comes to trying to sweet-talk the ladies, if nothing else."

"Don't listen to him, Mira," Elyan pleaded as the queen gave him an open-mouthed smile.

"No, Elyan loves only one woman," Percival revealed.

"Who?!" Miriam asked excitedly.

"My queen, of course. And my sister," the knight answered.