Chapter 111

Miriam wore green today, a dark but bold green that made her shine like an emerald. Her crown was placed delicately on her head as sat on her throne with the group of knights that led the raid on the sorcerer standing before her and her husband.

"You saw her and then you lost her?" Arthur questioned as he leaned against his throne rather than sat in it.

"She used magic, sire," Mordred explained.

"Even so, there are how many of you, six? Against one old woman?" Arthur continued.

"There were two of them, sire," Leon added.

"Oh, that explains it."

"Arthur, enough," Miriam reprimanded. "Mordred, who was the other?"

"I don't know, my lady. We couldn't see. But they were in earnest conversation. That much we could tell," he answered.

"But you still couldn't tell which direction they headed in?" Arthur persisted and his queen stood.

"Give them a break. As brave as they all are, I doubt swords are much of a match against two who can summon fire or throw lightning," she said as she approached Mordred, gently moving the locks of hair that fell across his forehead to observe the cut that marred his skin. "How did you acquire this wound?"

"Saving Sir Ambrose, my queen. The sorceress had summoned a wall of fire to stop us in our path and I pushed Sir Ambrose from the way, hit my head on a rock."

"And you didn't seek out Gaius because?" she asked with an eyebrow raised.

"It doesn't hurt, my queen, and no longer bleeds."

"Still, it could get infected. Please see Gaius immediately because I won't lose a brave knight to an infection."

Mordred gave her a kind smile, appreciative of her concern.

"As you wish, your majesty," he said with a small bow.

"Sir Leon, you as well," Miriam ordered as she backed away from Mordred to address the group now. "I know how you can't go on a single expedition without returning injured."

"I already saw Gaius upon our return, my lady," Leon said with a smirk that she returned.

"Very good. Now as for this sorcerer, send out a second patrol, seal off the ford at Greinton, and alert the border garrisons. She must be found."

"As you wish, my queen," Leon answered for the group as they all bowed to her before leaving and Arthur came up behind her as he wrapped his arms around her waist.

"You are a perfect queen, even if you undermine me from time to time," he whispered in her ear as she smiled, reaching a hand behind her to his hair.

"You were being too hard on them. Now go. You have a training session with Gwaine and Percival before they go out on patrol, remember?"

He kissed her cheek.

"I'll see you later."

As soon as the doors closed behind him, Miriam whirled on her brother.

"Tell me that you weren't the other sorcerer last night."

Merlin's eyes hit the floor.

"I'm afraid I can't do that."

Miriam seemed to soften.

"Merlin, what's going on? You've never kept things from me before. Tell me what's happening, please," she pleaded as she took several steps towards him, dress trailing behind her.