26 ~ A Violent Violet

I wanted to give Ayomide more identity, so heres his past. The first part could be seen as a filler, I suppose, but it's important and explains why hes good at taking care of Sabo Jr.

"Layla?" He hung up his coat and walked through the living room towards the kitchen, finding his beautiful wife humming a soft tune while seeming to be baking. A warm smile lifted his lips as he walked forwards and wrapped his arms around her waist, humming alongside her. "I'm home."

"Welcome back." She turned around, pecking him on the lips with a loving smile that made his heart stutter. "I was just making croissants, they're just about finished. Would you like one?"

Croissants sounded nice after a long day of working. "Yes, please."

Wrapping his arm around her shoulders, Ayomide raked his eyes over the long sentences of the fantasy book the two were reading together. Two, three, and four pages later before they both decided to simply rest in each others presence.

"Our child," Layla spoke softly and for some reason, he felt his heart ache. "what should we name them?"

He chuckled nervously, "Isn't it bad luck to think of baby names before they're born?"

"Oh, please," The orange haired woman scoffed, "I dont believe in bad luck."

Ayomide knows that. It's exactly why he'd said it, simply to get a small rise out of her. His hand shifted to graze her covered stomach before finally offering a response to her question. "I'll let you choose, then. I know you'll pick something amazing."

She had such a beautiful name in mind. One that would surely satisfy both of them and yet she would never get the chance to do so. Not even three months later, a searing pain in her stomach and lower parts would send her rushing to the restroom with tears of pain running down her face. Ayomide wasn't home nor would he be home until the late night so she asked a fellow neighbor to help escort her to a nearby clinic where she would discover the unfortunate news of a miscarriage.

It hurt just as much mentally as it did physically, and she just couldn't stop herself from crying. Ayomide had been working so hard, reading books, asking for advice from fellow fathers and mothers while preparing to be a father only for it to be for naught. Could she really tell him knowing that it would break his heart just as much as it did hers? But that wasn't all she was told, and Layla couldn't help but think there was no worse news than this. She was proven wrong, of course.

"Ayomide..." Voice a mere whisper, she called for him just as he'd entered. In response, he sent her a warm loving smile that made her heart stutter. She was starting to feel guilty. "Can I please talk to you?"