|| Chapter Thirty-Seven: 168 Possibilities ||

----

Guide:

(Y/n)=(Your/name)

(s/c)=(skin/colour)

{Word Count: 2,835}

----

(Y/n)'s P.O.V.

"Well then, all we have left is to uncover the culprit behind this murder case," stated Byakuya, pushing up the grey frames resting on his nose bridge back into their correct position. His burning gaze seared into my skin, eyes switching between me and the Monokuma File in my hands. It was because of his impatience that I felt a need to read the information even slower. 

"How can you be so calm...?" Hina murmured as she turned to Byakuya. Her eyebrows furrowed and her teeth clenched. "They're dead, gone forever! How are you not upset?! This is awful, absolutely awful!" 

Falling beside Hifumi's lifeless body, Hina gingerly lifted Hifumi's head onto her lap. "How can a person be so cruel...?" Tears cascaded down Hina's tan cheeks the longer she looked at Hifumi's plump, paled face. Her head dropped forward, her large tears falling down onto the deceased male below her. 

My attention was drawn away from the Monokuma File and was now fixated on the moment Hina shared with Hifumi. It was truly tragic, almost like a scene from a movie. However, one thing that set this moment apart from a movie was that no miracle would happen here. No magical moment would occur like in some sort of fantasy based society.

A particularly noticeable tear splashed down onto Hifumi's cheek rather dramatically. Nothing occurred for a second, but then my previous thoughts were quickly proven wrong. Hifumi groaned and whimpered and his eyelids slowly began to rise. A rather audible gasp escaped past my previously sealed lips. Since when did this sort of thing happen outside of movies?

Hifumi began to weakly speak. "Where...am I?" Hifumi's stare was blank as though he was still dead. His gaze was set on the ceiling, a trembling hand reaching up as though to reach for something. "It's so cold...so very cold... Is Winter approaching?"

"Hifumi! Hifumi, stay with us!" Hina begged of him. Her voice was hardly recognizable. Hina's usual, bubbly voice was no where to be found. Now, the only thing you could hear in her broken tone was the sound of despair and distress.

Hifumi glanced up at Hina. "Huh? O-Oh, I remember now... Hope's Peak..."

"Hifumi, stay awake!"

"I can remember...everything," Hifumi coughed a bit before continuing. "I'd met you all before...before..."

Hifumi's arm dropped down. I noticed how he began to blink a bit slower now, his breaths now having rather long pauses in between. My eyes widened. "We're losing him!" I shouted, causing gasps to erupt within the room.

Hifumi's dry lips began to curl into a smile. "Ah, the light... I can see it reaching towards me..."

I stood there staring at Hifumi for a moment, almost completely unaware to anything else around me. Before anymore time could be wasted, I staggered towards Hifumi and dropped down beside him. "Hifumi! Who was the one that killed you?" I shouted. 

"Huh? Killed...me? Oh, yes, I remember them..." Hifumi's eyes finally shut as his final breath was spent muttering a familiar name. "Yasu...hi...ro."

Hifumi returned back to the deceased man he was before the miracle that Hina's tears had brought upon him. I gently grasped his wrist, pressing two fingers against it to feel for a pulse. A bit of sadness jabbed my heart when I felt nothing beat against my finger pads. "He's gone," I announced, stepping away from his corpse.