CHAPTER 1

Heavy rainfall beats down on a small town in the middle of nowhere. The clouds became darker as the strong winds blow past the empty streets. Branches of nearby trees got blown out as the wind blows stronger causing the streets to be littered with leaves, twigs and trash. Sounds of thunder echoed through the town followed by strikes of lightning. The place resembled a ghost town, as everyone stayed in their homes, waiting for the storm to pass.

As the storm continued on, the strong wind carried a random bird, forcefully propelling it towards a small glass window of a small rundown house, causing it to crash right into it.

Moments later, a skinny figure slowly walked towards the window, with her thin hands tucked away in the pockets of her worn out jeans, she stared blankly at the bird stuck on the other side of the glass.

"How unfortunate." She mumbled, seemingly emotionless as the bird struggled to get up with it's broken wing. Her eyes glanced up at her reflection in the stained window, only one word could describe how she looked, haggard. She walked away from the window, not wanting to see her reflection anymore. Her skin was pale and unhealthy, with sunken cheeks and dry unkept hair. Underneath her sunken eyes, were dark eye bags. She didn't seem to be sleeping well.

"Would I have been like this if..."

Before she could finish her sentence, something caught her eye. Her pupils dilated as she faced a roach crawling on the stained walls of her home. On instinct she quickly stepped away from the roach on the wall. Though she sees them everyday, she despised the sight of them.

'Disgusting...'

Alya muttered and walked towards a tiny termite infested bookshelf beside a small white mattress on the floor, which felt more like a boulder than a bed. She reached for the only book on the shelf that had been there since she found the apartment years ago. With no electricity she lighted a lantern and sat on the worn out sofa right next to it. Alya opened the book to find the first three pages torn, she was not surprised.

'What thing ate the book now?'

Right between the second and third page of the torn book, a smaller cockroach was resting. Instantly, in a panic, Alya closed the book and threw it on the floor. The roach then came out of the book and quickly crawled away for it's dear life.

Alya was getting tired of this, she bared her teeth frustratedly.

She tried to quell her anger so as to not worsen her high blood pressure but her left eye suddenly started to twitch out of anger. They just kept on multiplying, no matter what she did.

She took a deep breath and rubbed her temples, trying to stop her twitching eye.

Alya sighed deeply and picked up the book on the floor. As she did a piece of paper fell out. She took the piece of paper and read what was on it. She already knew what it was since she was the one who kept it there. She stared intently at the message on it then sighed.

"What's the point of using it now?" she thought to herself. She had a long way to go before she could use it.

She sat back down on the sofa and slowly opened the book again, not hoping to find another one. She kept the piece of paper back where it was then slowly exhaled and tried to read what was on the first page, though it was futile. She closed the book. She had read it about a hundred times already.